Saturday, February 19, 2005

CHARLES WRITE ON THE HOMELESS ISSUE!!

I am just going through my old updates and I wrote this update last year on January 19th from last year! I guess the homeless problem hasn't change that much since then....

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:06:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: CHARLES WRITES ON THE HOMELESS ISSUE!!!

Personally, I never heard much of the
homelessness issue in the past. While protesting in
my tent in front of the Legislature, I seen first hand
this serious problem.
On July 2nd, I seen a guy in the Dumpster at
Officer’s Square collecting empties from the big party
the evening before. Late at night, I would see many of
them collecting empties from the garbage bins on the
streets. I might add that they didn’t leave a mess on
the ground.

Many of them would walk by the Legislature
looking for butts that the staff left in the ashtrays
outside. These people are not loud. They’re very
polite and quiet. Once I got to know them? They’re a
nice bunch!
For many people in this City; They would be known
to be the menace of the society and the forgotten but
if you took the time to chat with them? You would be
surprise to find out that they are human. These
people live on $264.00 a month and thank god for the
fine support of people like George Pierce at the Soup
Kitchen. They have all the food they can eat but after
walking around the City for 3 to 4 weeks?
The need to release and yes, they do get drunk!
Don’t forget? They’re human just like me and you. I’m
no Saint and yes after preaching to the citizens about
ADD/ADHD for 30 days under the hot sun. Yes! I did go
out and enjoyed a few. We’re all human.
The problem is that after they spend 60 bucks on
booze and other addiction. At the end, they don’t have
money for the rent.
The public will say - Go at the shelter! Have you
ever tried sleeping in one big room with 50 beds?
There’s no privacy in that area and many homeless
people don’t like the atmosphere. I sure wouldn’t.
Many citizens during the summer months seen the
guy with the long beard sleeping on the City Bench. I
haven’t seen this individual for months. Do the public
care? The are called – the forgotten! A guy like that
could disappear from the face of the Earth and no one
would noticed.
The fall came and I was beginning to get my
little home ready for the cold months ahead. The
evenings were cold but I did manage.
One day, I was at the soup kitchen and someone
asked me if I was still in the tent? I proudly said-
YES! I’M STILL THERE!!! One guy sitting beside me
said- What’s the big deal anyway? A bunch of us sleeps
in the parking garage. All you need is a cardboard and
you’re fine. I heard stories that they slept in the
parking garage and the grand stand at the exhibition.
Myself, I visited the parking garage on a cold
evening and there was a girl sleeping in the stairway.
Her name is Sharon and she walks around with a
shopping cart. She’s a very nice girl and I might add
that she’s very clean.
One evening, I noticed her around the
Legislature and since I seen her set up for sleeping.
I invited her in my tent and she found it very
comfortable. She was in paradise.
One other homeless guy that I met during the
protest is –Marc! You people will know him from the
guy who sleeps under the Westmorland Bridge. He’s the
quiet type and has addictions. I tried to help the guy
but he won’t take that extra step and look for help.
One morning, I showed up in his sleeping quarters and
it was –40 with wind chill. He was there and I touch
inside his jacket and he was still warm. Someone gave
me a white Goose feather blanket during my protest.
It’s worth around $500.00. I gave it to Marc and maybe
this little toy will help him.
On October 4, many kids gathered at Officer’s
square for a 24 hours protest. They had cardboard
boxes, duct tape and plastic. They wanted to have the
feeling of living in the cold for 24 hours. I was also
there collecting names for my petition. At around
1:00am, the rain came down very hard and everybody ran
home. Did they did get the feeling of how it feels to
be homeless? Of course not! They went home to their
nice shelter while the true homeless people were still
out there in the wet weather.
In the fall, many would come to me and say-
Charles? Aren’t you cold? I always answered- You
selfish people! Isn’t that nice? What about the real
homeless? Compare to their homes? I live in the
Holiday Inn!
The Province cannot ignore this problem. Of
course many of these less fortunate do not want help.
If you have a guilty conscience? When you see a
homeless person? Drop them a coupon for a free coffee.
They sure could use the hot coffee to warm their
bodies. Have a great day!

No comments: