Tuesday, February 28, 2006

THE PRESS GALLERY AT THE NEW BRUNSWICK LEGISLATURE SAYS NO TO BLOGGERS!!!!


Picture 022, originally uploaded by Oldmaison.

Picture 024
Picture 023
Picture 015

Is it the weather or is it hatred???
Good question?

Maybe someone has an answer for happened to me at the Legislature a few hours ago?

Some people seem to be in a bad mood or have a very bad attitude.

A couple of days ago, I received an envelope in my mailbox.

Inside was $100.00!!!

Picture 021

I said to myself - What the hell is this???

The money came with a note telling me to apply for a media pass at the Legislature.

Well? I knew this was a waste of time but if an individual went out of his way to send me $100.00?

Why not?

So where should I begin?

The Sargeant At Arms? I don’t believe so because he labeled me as a security risk.

With a media pass? I could take all kinds of pictures of different MLA’s in the hallways.

I could attend the news conferences and maybe asks a few questions?

I knew that Alan White was the former head of the Media Gallery at the Legislature.

I found out the new guy was Daniel McHardie.

The first thing that went through my mind was - Ohhh boy??? An Irving Employee!!!! He’s a reporter from the Moncton Irving Transcript.

Charles 04_07_05 021

This should be real good!!!...lol…

The media gathers in this building so I walked through the doors.

In the past, I would be greeted by a nice Commissionaire and I would asked for an individual and there would be no problem.

On many occasions, I would asked for a lady at the Hansard Office and minutes later I was on my way out the door but not this time.

Once inside there were four commissionaire in a booth!

I’m not kidding!!!! FOUR OF THEM!!!!

They looked at me as of saying to themselves - What the hell does he want?

One Commissionaire quickly got up and told me in a very hatred way - You’re not allowed in here!!!!

I stay calm and say- What? You mean all New Brunswickers are not allowed in here?

He angrily told me to wait outside!!!!

I was really confuse??? If I’m outside? How can I locate the individual I wish to chat with?

I knew where the orders came from to treat me like dirt but also knew that I was dealing with New Brunswickers and not Quebecers.

q2

I asked - Since when these new rules came in action?

He mentioned- Dan Bussieres!!!

q1

I was very concern of this new rule because many New Brunswickers do come in this building for information!

He told me that all New Brunswickers will have to make an appointment!

I said - Appointement?

All I want is some info???

A couple from the Premier’s staff office walked by and I said - Hello!!

Just like the Commissionaires they gave me a dirty look and continue their little walk.

Ok…I’m in a area where the attitude of hate is very much alive and I’m stuck in the middle.

Thank God! The Commissionaire was located in a booth because I’m certain he would have grabbed me and there the situation would have gone totally out of control.

I one again asked for Daniel McHardie but they wouldn’t call to ask if the guy was there or not?

I went for my camera.

Picture 027

A female Commissionaire in the booth whispered - He got a tape recorder!!!

The Commissionaire angrily asked me if I had a tape recorder with me?

All it was for a camera but they truly believe that I had a tape recorder???

Why would I have a tape recorder anyway?

I remember when I was working with that racist supervisor from Gulf Operators. < Irving Company >

gulf

I was told to carry a tape recorder. I will never carry such a device with me.

These people were very paranoid and I wonder what was the reason?

They seem friendly during my six months protest but no more!

charles

Could they have been told by someone that I should be treated like dirt???

I don’t go kindly being degraded in front of others but I played along with their childish game.

I asked for the phone number of Daniel McHardie.

He refused to give it to me.

I was confuse because I believe this was sort of the information booth like the Legislature or the Centennial Building.

Charles 04_07_05 015

These four Commissionaires weren’t going to give me no info whatsoever!

I asked again - How do I get the info I want?

New Brunswickers are no longer allowed to walk in here for info?

At the end, he hastily gave me a phone number.

Once at a phone, I called the number but it told me that the number I’m trying to reach is no longer in service.

I had a problem, I got to contact this Irving’s reporter but the Commissionaires won’t help me so what do I do now?

I contacted the Legislative building and the woman recognizes my voice. < I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing …lol > She couldn’t helped me either.

I contacted someone from the Daily Irving Gleaner but he didn’t have the number either.

I decided that I’ll have to return to the Departmental Building to get my info?

Question? Why is that booth in that building if New Brunswickers are not allowed in there?

I walked in and once again I was confronted with hate!!!!

Thank God for that glass window.

This time around there were only two people present so therefore being degraded in front of two person isn’t all that bad.

Once again, I asked to see Daniel Mchardie.

But once again I was told that they couldn’t help me.

I told the guy that he gave me the wrong number.

I was straight forward and told him that I was told to tell you…

He quickly intervened and said- WHO TOLD YOU????

Well, I never disclosed my information where I get my infos…I told the commissionaire that I have something for Daniel Mchardie and if you don’t wish to help me???

Where do I go now???

I believe that he realizes that I wasn’t going nowhere so he quickly gave in and went inside to get the Irving reporter.

He came out and told me that the guy will be out.

I said- Now??? That’s better!!!!

Daniel Mchardie came out with papers in his hand.

He began to explain to me about the policy to be accepted in the press gallery.

I was surprised that he knew the reason I was there for?

I asked? How did you know? Why do you have those papers with you.

He told me that he’s waiting for a reporter from a Halifax paper who’s wants the same pass as I do.

The papers were the media constitution of the Legislature.

I believe that he knew what I wanted because I told a fellow reporter the story one hour before.

I told the reporter that it was OFF THE RECORD!!! I guess it wasn’t!!! I’ll confront the reporter on a later date.

So the conversation went on for close to 10 minutes but I wasn’t comfortable at all because he was talking loud and the two commissionaires were paying close attention.

I mean…. it wasn’t none of their business but what can you do or say?

I was lucky to have the Irving employee in front of me.

He explained to me that Bloggers are not in the media constitution.

I asked for a copy of the papers but he said that it was the only copy he had.

I suggested that he photo copied the papers so I could read them later but no deal!

I told the head cheese that they should get with the times and allow bloggers in the media gallery.

He told me that someone can bring the proposal at a meeting.

I replied- Fat chance of that with all the Irving employees in there???

He reminded me that Irving employees are a small part of the group.

He mentioned Rogers!!!

ROGERS????? They’re as bad as the Irvings!!! I didn’t say it but I was thinking about it!!!...lol…

At the end, he was telling me that if they allowed a blogger? That would open up the door for all the bloggers!!!

I reminded the guy that I’m closing in on 100,000 visitors to my site. I know that I have 35,000 to do…..lol

While debating the issue with Dan a reporter walked < I won’t mention any name >

He kept on trucking by but came back with this statement – Maybe Charles has a tape recorder on him?

The Commissionaires staring at me, a reporter confronting me…. All this in the hallway????

He again asked me if I had a tape recorder???

I gave in and said- Yes, I do have a tape recorder!!!!

At that moment???? I had anyone attention in the building and I pointed to my head and said - That’s my tape recorder!!!!

I wonder where this tape recorder story started anyway???

I bet when I left the building the first time? The media and the commissionaires must have gotten together and came to a conclusion that I had a tape recorder!!!

WHAT A BUNCH!!!

To everyone who reads this blog???? I never in the past and never will in the future have a tape recorder.

I have a bad enough time with a camera never mind a tape recorder. They must believe that I’m Secret Squirell????

ss4
Sh@t!

When all that was done? I continued my little chat with Dan McPhardie.

I offered to give him the 100 bucks to apply but he wouldn’t take it!!!

Picture 021

He reminded me that if I do get accepted? I have to be accepted by Daniel Bussiers!

Picture 097

I told the Irving employee that I know it won’t pass but I was told to give it a try?

When he mentioned constitution of the media gallery in the Legislature? He did mentioned people from weekly papers could apply?

I reminded the guy that I had my own column in the River Valley News for the past six years so therefore maybe I should apply as a person who represents that paper?

Charles 04_07_05 027

He told me that he’ll have to chat with the owner of that paper.

It’s one of a few that’s left in the Province that’s not own by the Irvings!

So? What can a person do? Nothing!

The Irvings have control of the news media and there’s not much we can do about it!

I reminded the young reporter that maybe I will reapply as a blogger in 10 years from now???

Charles 04_07_05 055

You know? Maybe New Brunswick will be up to par?...lol

The conversation came to an end.

So? I learned that New Brunswickers are not allowed in the Departmental Building near the Legislature. So why bother having a booth in there?

Just for the record? I was thinking of taking a picture of the booth but I would have been maybe arrested.

Yes, spring better come soon because some people sure have a bad attitude!!!!

Ch-Com-2

Maybe one day New Brunswickers could read other stories beside the Irving's newspapers?

media

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're not surprised Charles, spend the money on yourself! Don't feel too bad because politicians are usually the last to know what Irving plans on doing next anyway. Politicians never give real answers at press conferences anyway, they are professionals at saying all kinds of words that say nothing at all. It's easier to judge them by what they do, and that's pretty obvious.

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

Once again?? The grammar is terrible but I believe the readers got the main point of the story.

As for the picture of Hitler?

That's exactly what he did when he took power in Germany.

He took control of the media and the rest as you'll say - is history!!!!

Spinks said...

If you have the time and patience Charles jump the hoops and try to join the press gallery. This has the makings of a pretty good story as the first blogger to be part of a press gallery. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Charles, I posted this message to CBC's Current this morning soon after you were interviewed. You did a great job and I believe you have sparked an important international discussion about threats to free speech.

"I am presently listening to your show about Charles LeBlanc. I am a supporter of Charles LeBlanc and I am also a member of the Board of Directors of the Fredericton Anti-Poverty Organization through which I became acquainted with Charles vis a vis some public forums we organized on the subject of Human Rights, a topic which I know is near and dear to Charles' heart. I see that the NB Legislature Press Gallery chief has raised the issue of why Charles has been labelled a security risk. This is an extremely important issue that NOT ONE of the traditional media has covered in New Brunswick. If Charles can be labelled a security risk we are on a very slippery slope and it will not be long before other media and individuals will be prevented from exercising their right to free speech. The very fact that Charles's website features literally dozens of photographs with every single MLA in the province who are either shaking his hands or have their arms wrapped around his shoulder clearly shows that they do not think he is a security risk. So how has he been labelled so? I have worked with Charles on his human rights complaint with the NB Human Rights Commission and I think it's high time you fellas in the media pay attention to what the hell is happening with Charles' human rights complaint because what happens to Charles can happen to YOU."

Anonymous said...

Melynda,
"The very fact that Charles's website features literally dozens of photographs with every single MLA in the province who are either shaking his hands or have their arms wrapped around his shoulder clearly shows that they do not think he is a security risk. So how has he been labelled so?"

Are you really that naive? The politicians realize that if they don't shake his hand when he runs up to them, that he'll run back to his computer and post slander about them, call them racist and spew whatever other lunatic thoughts pop into his brain about them. It's easier/safer for them to just amuse him, shake his hand, and then he'll go on his merry way to find someone else to bug.

Anonymous said...

Good god they can't let every self proclaimed blogger nutcase into the legislature (not "the ledge" as you mistakenly call it). If they did then I guess everyone is the media.

Anonymous said...

FYI Charles... nothing is ever OFF THE RECORD - keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

"Nothing is ever off the record", says "anonymous".
Except maybe the truth. It's the only thing that's ever vetted from the news, eh.
Brought to you by the folks @ www.ourcourtssuck.com - you be the judge.

Anonymous said...

I'm living in Ontario now, born and bred in NB. I'm sad to read the news from home. It's so backward. The Tanker Malley thing was just plain wrong, Mr. Lord. You're a hick premier, much laughed at in many circles for your need to hold onto power.
Lord has not changed much in NB. His mark on NB history will be as a caretaker premier. He is afraid to take chances and it shows.
He does think he is quite smart, so his own history will be quite striking, I'm sure.
Well, off on a Lord rant...sorry.
Charles, the press gallery is not a place for you. They are sheep. They write the same things and all cover the same story. Anyone who breaks away from that is branded.
Too bad for them, just collecting paycheques. Sad legacy. They see themselves as chums with the politicians, another mistake.
It's NB. If the press gallery can't expose these politicians for what they are, it's time to find a new career.
The last big story they had was orimulsion. How many years agao was that?

Anonymous said...

I'm living in Ontario now, born and bred in NB. I'm sad to read the news from home. It's so backward. The Tanker Malley thing was just plain wrong, Mr. Lord. You're a hick premier, much laughed at in many circles for your need to hold onto power.
Lord has not changed much in NB. His mark on NB history will be as a caretaker premier. He is afraid to take chances and it shows.
He does think he is quite smart, so his own history will be quite striking, I'm sure.
Well, off on a Lord rant...sorry.
Charles, the press gallery is not a place for you. They are sheep. They write the same things and all cover the same story. Anyone who breaks away from that is branded.
Too bad for them, just collecting paycheques. Sad legacy. They see themselves as chums with the politicians, another mistake.
It's NB. If the press gallery can't expose these politicians for what they are, it's time to find a new career.
The last big story they had was orimulsion. How many years ago was that?

Anonymous said...

To all the tax payers of this Province. I have a major headline story that has been suppressd by the media since 1999. I have tried and exhausted all avenues to get the publics attention concerning a major cover-up within our justice system.

This information I have concerns issues such as: bank fraud, corporate fraud, tax fraud & evasion, welfare fraud, copyright fraud and infringement, theft of property, miscarriage of justice, police cover-ups, identity theft, and the list goes on.

The people concerned and involved with this file includes: Police Officers, Detectives, Police Commissioners (Municipal & Provincial), Chief of Police, Major Crime Unit, RCMP, RCMP Commission, Ministers of Public Safety, Attorney General, Minister of Justice, Premier, RCMP Head Office, the Chair Person, and many more individuals.

If only one charge is laid in my file, many will do down like dominos. This was told to me by a few honest individuals within the system who examined the evidence.

The fact that a Saint John Lawyer was found guilty by the NB Law Society of Professional Misconduct/Conflict of Interest, I am unable to retain a lawyer as they are "in conflict of interest" due to knowing this lawyer. Now tell me, why does conflicts of interest have any bearing on the laws being broken in our Province? These are supposed to be men of law, yet cannot take this case due to friendships or whatever. Crimes are the issue, yet it seams to be ok to commit them if you know the right people.

This file was sent to the RCMP Commission in Surrey, BC for investigation. It was then forwarded on to Headquarters in Ottawa. A person in BC told me that what was going on in NB is not allowed in the rest of Canada.

I have chosen to write a book in order to get this information out to the public. I already have a publisher (away from my area of course) who wants to publish my story. It was also mentioned to me about possible movie rights and talk shows being interested in this matter.

When this issue is exposed it will create a shock to all people in this Country. It will expose the unjust justice system that exists, and all the individuals involved.

From my personal experience I do not trust any law officials and I do know from experience that the news is being suppressed in this Province.

Charlie we need bloggers and continue on. If we do not all get together and expose this corruption in this Province then we are only failing ourselves for not fighting for freedom of speech.

Right now not all citizens have the rights to the press. If it involves a poor person breaking the law, then its ok. If it involves the pillars of society, then that's another story. THERE IS NO EQUAL JUSTICE IN NB.

When my book is revealed you will see it for yourself. Hopefully the people will demand answers and justice to prevail over all those who have chosen to take over our system and abuse their powers to protect themselves.

Jeannine Myers

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

re

Anonymous said...

Charles, I just re-read your story of your encounter with Daniel McHardie. He said that the only way it could be discussed further is if someone brought it up at a meeting of the Press Gallery Board of Directors or whatever it's called. Remember Randy McKeen's editorial on the radio in support of your right to have access to the Legislature? Does McKeen's newsroom have membership in the Legislature Press Gallery? I know they used to, at least until Kevin Bissett moved over there for BN/CP. Why don't you go have a chat with Randy McKeen and see what he might be able to do about bringing up the issue at a Press Gallery meeting? It might be a long shot if his newsroom is no longer a member of the Press Gallery, but it might also be a way to get the discussion started again. Also, have you talked with Shawn about the "security" thing? Remember, he was one of the eight MLAs who voted to boot you out of the Legislature so it will be good to see if those friendly pictures he's taken with you make any difference now that he has the top job. Keep us posted. Good luck. Fred.

Anonymous said...

This is a response to Jeannine Myers' comment. I, as a young resident here in New Brunswick know all to well how the judicial system operates. An individual who has ownership to large and/or numerous businesses within the maritimes has a power above law in many concerns. We all know about the child violator and partial owner of Coastal Tides restaurant in the Fundy Trail area, Norman Lefrancois and his attack on a teenager and how the local police force could not respond once they realized who the offener was. A response was initiated from a law enforcement team OUTSIDE its own jurisdiction but a charge was not laid since it would have made it difficult for the teen. Whether it be law or governmental issues some privileged individuals seem to "bend" the rules to their own favour. I'm glad there are people who wish to make a difference like you and Charles.

Anonymous said...

I would like to post some comments regarding some previous posts. I expect these are dated, but the content is still relevant.

Posts;
Are you really that naive? The politicians realize that if they don't shake his hand when he runs up to them, that he'll run back to his computer and post slander about them, call them racist and spew whatever other lunatic thoughts pop into his brain about them. It's easier/safer for them to just amuse him, shake his hand, and then he'll go on his merry way to find someone else to bug.
# posted by Anonymous : 9:34 AM

Good god they can't let every self proclaimed blogger nutcase into the legislature (not "the ledge" as you mistakenly call it). If they did then I guess everyone is the media.
# posted by Anonymous : 8:59 AM


Post #1 I have yet to come across a politician who would accommodate an individual they perceived to be dangerous in this way. Get real Anon. They would bring in the long arm to beat him down so fast it would make your head spin. You make me think some people do get the government they deserve. Which Government office do you work for?

Post #2 That's what an application process is for. First the powers set criteria, then review applications and grant approval based on previously determined criteria.

Sometimes I wonder if the Anons are that dumb or do they think the rest of us are?

And what's up with this Anon thing anyway. If you believe it strongly enough to say it, then at least derive a handle with which to identify yourself.

Anonymous said...

One other thought Mr. LeBlanc. Via banning you from the Legislature, the Authorities have made you a Martyr of sorts. This is worth more than many words, and or pictures.

They have publicly revealed themselves as intolerant and autocratic and are stirring the voices of reason.

Anonymous said...

As long as the commissionnaires were bilingual, they satisfied the status quo. Professionalism is not an issue any more.