Sunday, April 08, 2007

Canadian soldier's wife didn't know of the six soldiers who got killed in Afghanistan....


IMG_0639
Originally uploaded by Oldmaison.
At around 4:30pm, I had my television on CNN!!!

They told the audience the death of six Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan.

I quickly changed the channel to CBC News World.

Sure enough, sadly it was true.

Six Canadian soldiers dead!!!

I blogged the story and decided to phone a woman whose husband is in Afghanistan.

She answered the phone in a very friendly mood.

At first, I felt relieved because she must have heard the news and it wasn’t her hubby.

She began talking about my blog.

I quickly changed the subject and asked her if her husband was in the area of the bombing?

She didn’t know what I was talking about???

I told her that six Canadian soldiers got killed in Afghanistan.

She quickly replied - One soldier???

I said- No! Six!!!!

I told her to change the channel to CBC News World.

She told her friend to change the channel and once she saw the television screen - Six Canadian Soldiers Killed.


IMG_2515


Her first words were Dear God....Dear God....Dear God....

I was on the other line and told her they got killed on the road and I knew her husband wasn’t supposed to be in that area.

The woman never said a word.

I told her that I’ll let her go.

She quickly said- Charles? I got to let you go.

She never heard a word I told her on the phone.

After I told her the news? Her mind went blank!

Yes, when you have someone stationed overseas, you are hit very hard by the news of a soldier’s death.

The wives of our Canadians soldiers are a huge family.

Together they support our troops and with the news of the death of one of their own? They will mourn together.

Yes, I even have tears in my eyes while writing this little blog.

It’s very sad indeed.

This will be the closest that I will ever come to break the news of a soldier death to a family.

It was very sad.

I believe the next time I hear some awful news from Afghanistan?

I will send an email.

It’s much less emotional that way!

My sympathy to the Families!

No comments: