Saturday, December 15, 2007

Priere Du Jour - Prayer of the Day!!!


Picture 166
Originally uploaded by Oldmaison
STA_0322

SPIRITUAL LIVING
Prayer and Devotions

Asking Jesus Questions
by Father Jason Smith, LC

Resolution: Ask Christ a question today.

December 15, 2007
Saturday of the Second Week of Advent

Matthew 17: 9a, 10-13
“As they were coming down from the mountain, the disciples asked Jesus, "Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?" He said in reply, "Elijah will indeed come and restore all things; but I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him but did to him whatever they pleased. So also will the Son of Man suffer at their hands." Then the disciples understood that he was speaking to them of John the Baptist.”


Introductory Prayer: Lord Jesus, I place myself in your presence. I have set aside this moment for you so that you can speak to me and I can listen to your words. Speak to my heart! I believe that you are present, bringing all the graces I need right now in the current circumstances of my life. I hope in you, Lord, because I know I cannot place my hope in the things of the world. I love you, Lord, and I know how much you love me.

Petition: Lord, help me to speak with you at all times.

1. A Conversation with Christ - This passage shows the kind of questions the disciples frequently asked. Amid such a normal moment for talking—hiking down a mountain—the disciples ask Jesus a question that was on their minds. “What’s this about the scribes saying Elijah must come first?” In terms of developing our spiritual life, this passage reminds us to take time out during the day (when walking out of the grocery store or riding in the elevator, for example) to speak with Christ. Ask him the questions on your mind. This is an excellent way to develop a relationship with him.


2. Jesus’ Answer - This passage is also replete with theological meaning. Elijah’s appearance and disappearance troubled the disciples. If Jesus was the Messiah, then why hadn’t the prophecy that Elijah would return to help him in his mission of restoring harmony and unity among all been fulfilled? (Malachi 4:5-6). Christ agrees with his disciples that Elijah is to return, but he corrects their perspective. Elijah has already come in the person of John the Baptist. If the return of the great Elijah is fulfilled in the beheaded Baptist, is it not surprising that the glorious Messiah will be the crucified Jesus? Jesus is saying the Baptist’s fate was a hint of God’s plan for our salvation. God’s ways are not our ways.

3. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask! - The disciples’ question immediately follows Christ’s transfiguration on Mount Tabor, when his divinity was revealed by the Father’s voice, and his whole being shone with such brilliance that even his garments were resplendent. Moses and Elijah were both present. After such an event, how could one doubt? To question is part of human existence. The disciples show us that it is good to bring our doubts and questions to Christ. He will answer them.

Conversation with Christ: “DISCIPLE: Lord, what You say is true; and I pray You to let it be done to me. Let Your truth teach me and guide me, and lead me at last to eternal salvation. Let it deliver me from all evil desires and inordinate love, that I may walk with you in freedom of heart” (Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ, Book 3, Chapter 4, 1).

Resolution: I will ask Christ a question today in one of those “spontaneous” moments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try to get a picture of one of them giving something away,instead of taking!