Sunday, February 12, 2006

HOW CAN THEY FIND A PLACE TO STAY AT $270.00???


Picture 029, originally uploaded by Oldmaison.

Picture 077

by Millie:

First of all Charles, I would like to speak of the amount of money a person gets from the Government for housing and shelter, clothing etc.

To rent a room in our boarding house is $310 a month for most of the rooms.

A single person gets $270. This doesn't make any sense.

I had three people on the 1st wanting to rent, but I cannot rent for that amount.

This is not my building. I just collect all the rents and make sure all the rooms are rented out to decent people who do not cause trouble...like drugs and alcohol drinkers.

The government should raise the income for those who cannot work or who are looking for work, but cannot get any right away.

Oh yes they have to pass a medical, but then again they only get $495 a month...how much do you think is left?

I feel really bad for these people.

I see them every day. I go to bed wondering what I could do, but instead of saying it to one person, I want the world to know what is happening for the poor people in our province and to let the Government know, there is health at risk for people like this also.

I will close for now, I have to file some income tax for these people..but until next time stay safe and lets try to help by commenting on some goodness in this society,,, don't need no bull, cause I will only laugh at the bad comments you say.

I am only here to help. To me life is short, and God put us all here for a reason!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They should have the system like they do in Ontario. They allow so much for rent and so much for personal. I think that a single person there gets just over 500 per month...but I am not postive. But even that beats what we get down here.

Anonymous said...

Personally I think the government should change places with these people for even 2 days. There lives are so easy, and it's nice to be the boss, but let the shoe be on the other foot..come on out govenment people and start panhandling.

Michael G. McKay said...

Millie makes a very valid point concerning the amount of financial assistance that persons receive from the provincial government agencies. I was in Ontario back in December of 1996, and at that time the regular rate an ontario resident received from the ontario welfare system was approximately $520,00 per person. if the individual person had a pernanent disability, he or she would receive approximately $989.00, or somewhere close to that amount.

Right now New Brunswick is so far below the poverty line that even most of those who have employment, are considered the working Poor. On a positive note the Provincial government has raised the welfare amount and also the amount of money that a person can have before it effects His or, Her welfare cheque. the amount that a single non-disabled person on assistance received before the raise was around $264.00, and now it is 270.00. Also a person with a Permanment disability who has a medical form filled out originally received around $558.00, and now it is %570.00. The amount that they are allowed that all individuals are allowed has also gone up. A single person on either disability assistance or, regular assistance has gone from %150.00 to 250.00. a couple on assistance I beleive is allowed around $350.00 before it effects their assistance cheque.

As far as I am aware, this is the new policy.