Saturday, March 04, 2006

MOTHER SIDE OF STORY OF BEING EVICTED AND CUT OFF FROM NEW BRUNSWICK FAMILY SERVICES!!


Picture 012, originally uploaded by Oldmaison.

Picture 011

Ok Charlie, You wanted the story... here it is.

On or about December 1st, a new neighbor moved in the apartment underneath my children and I.

Since that time I have received many phone calls from workers of Fredericton Rentals following up on complaints of this one woman.

I have lived in this building for over 3 years and it wasn't until last year about Christmas time that we were having the same trouble with previous neighbors.

Just to give a brief on my last neighbors, there was a couple living underneath.

One went to work through the day and slept through the night while the other stayed up all night and slept all day.

I have two children, one of them with Asperger's Syndrome (mild autism) who was only diagnosed approx. 8 months ago.

Picture 011

My children at that time were causing some noise, but they are only 6 and 4 years of age.

I certainly didn't find that the noise was excessive at that time.

Especially since my son is in school and gone for most of the day, (till 2:00 PM) and my children go to bed by 7:00 PM every day.

My children are also not allowed to play with trucks or anything with wheels to run across the floor, they are not allowed to jump or run.

However they do tend to test that rule every now and then, they are children after all, they receive time outs for that behaviour and it stops shortly after.

After we got notices (3 all at the same time) we got the rentalsmen involved.

I also went to the media to cover the story, and had my other neighbors who lived around me to write letters in our favour stating that our noise level was not excessive.

We won our case and were permitted to stay.

This time around, the complaints are not so much about the noise level of my children, more so the noise complaints about me and my daily living.

The first complaint came at 11:50 PM, I was watching the news with my ex-husband, and it was at a low level.

One of the workers from the building came to my door at this time and knocked.

I had my 4 year old daughter sleeping in my lap, and my ex husband opened the door to find the worker at the door following up on the complaint and he asked if that was the level of noise that we were making, he noticed my daughter who was sleeping on my knee and said that the complaint was unfounded, and left.

I again received a notice stating that I was vacuuming at 10:30, which I thought was strange as I don't even own a vacuume with a motor, I have a carpet sweeper that has no motor.

It also stated that I scream and yell till 11:00PM.

Which seems extremely odd, cause my children are in bed by 7:00 pm and I live alone, I don't understand who I'm screaming at when the only one here is myself.

I also had a complaint about my children playing with another friend oneday.

This is probably the only day that I could agree there was noise.

The kids were a little excited and loud, and after speaking to the landlord who was following up on the complaint, I asked my friend to take her child and leave.

I then received a notice stating that my kids were "not to have their friends over again" so, we have not had other children in since that incident.

My mom was here sweeping the sand up off the floor by my front entrance when we heard loud banging on the floor from the neighbor underneath complaining that the sweeping was too loud.

This was at 4:00 in the afternoon.

I have also had a lot of banging up on my floor and phone calls over watching tv, or running bath water.

One time my mom was here and completely shocked as the level of the tv was so low that we could hardly hear the program we were watching.

However my mother's personal favourite story was the evening that she and I were watching a show on CNN and we received a call about yet another complaint that there was screaming coming from my apartment... again, the complaint was unfounded.

My children were at their dad's on a weekend visit, it was only my mother and I at my residence.

I have also had other guests who can verify that there was no noise at the time of either banging on my floor or phone calls from workers in the building following up on complaints of noise.

I have asked all the workers from my building what I'm to do?

They have all commented that this girl is over sensitive and "weird" and they have told me that she even complains about the furnace room and noise coming from that which nothing can be done about.

They all suggested taking the bass and treble out of my television all together.

I only own a 27 inch. It's not a floor model, or a big screen, but I followed their advice just the same.

Then on February 27th, my landlord knocked loudly on my door.

I went and opened the door with my 4 year old daughter at my side, my son was at school.

He was there with one of the workers from the building.

He handed me an envelope telling me that I had to move that he was getting threatened and told that If I didn't move, she would and he couldn't risk that.

All the while my daughter is listening to him tell us we have no home, and all the while the worker with him was looking behind his shoulder mouthing the words.. "I'm so sorry".

I was later approached by a different worker from the building who stated that I should fight it cause the complaints of disturbance were all unfounded.

They had all said that they suggested at the meetings that the floors are very thin and that installation should be shot up between the floors and that it would help with the sound.

I also can hear my neighbors noise... I can give you a play by play on the selection of songs that she plays on a daily basis, and I can also tell you what tv programs that she enjoys and some of the things that she talks about with her guests and in phone conversations she has had.

Some mornings when she coughs, it sounds as if she's right in my own bedroom.

I believe the solution was to fill in between the floors with installation to see if it helped.

My children and I have also moved into my bedroom for the most part and have lived like prisoners locked up in a small space to watch tv and eat our meals there so not to disturb the lady underneath.

A lot of the workers from around the building all agree that the floors are thin and this should be tried first.

They also all agree that the next tenant will have the same trouble as this is an NB housing unit and a family building.

I was given the notice on February 27th, and it says that I must be out by no later then March 28th.

As a result of this eviction, not only do my children not have a home, my son will have to change schools which seriously concerns all of the schools people who have been working very hard with my son to help him have a successful school year.

They are concerned that an uproot and change of school in the middle of the year would cause great damage to my son as routine and structure is important in his success with his Asperger's Syndrome.

It also puts me at risk for ever being able to get a transfer with housing as once this occurs, you are seen as a risk and do not get another unit.

I have also received a call from my worker stating that my assistance is being surpressed until I find another place to live which is difficult as with rents being as high as they are, I am not able to find a decent place to live.

I have looked into one bedrooms, however have been told that with two children of the opposite sex I need by law a 3 bedroom apartment.

I am not someone who is just trying to take advantage of the system.

I am involved in work placements which is helping me work toward a lower tuition in the fall where I am enrolled in a course to get out of the system.

It seems that the harder I try... the worst things seem to get for my children and I.

I don't know what will happen to us now.

With only 3 weeks to go, and nowhere to live, I am extremely panicked and worried about my current situation and I am at a loss of what to do.

Any suggestions are helpful. Thank you.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Martin P... thank you for your comments... I don't want you to think that I'm just laying down to die... but with fighting it once before and winning, I'm afraid I'll lose this time... but I guess we won't know unless I try. Thank you for the motivation! I'm so discouraged... it's people like you who bring back my fight! Thank you so much!

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

I was there one evening. I don't go there too often and we were having a couple of beers. Yes, people on social assistance are allowed to drink beers!!!

Anyway, Colleen told us about the problems she was having with the individual downstairs.

At 1:00am, someone called and said- There's screaming in your place.

There were no screaming. Anyone was quiet!

It was at that momment that I knew something was strange in her building.

I got one MLA looking ito this and I told her that I'll go with her to the Rentalman on Monday!

Stay tune!

I won't have a weapon with me but I something worse than that!

I got my camera!!!!!....lol

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

by the way? Just for the record? The kids weren't home. They were at their Dad's. So therefore, the mother was enjoying her break with a little beers.

Anonymous said...

WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO LIVE AND LET LIVE. I'm the mother of this young lady that has been evicted from her home.She has NEVER BEEN EVICTED from any place EVER.I raised my daughter to be a kind and caring person to everyone, and she is just that.I'm very pleased and proud of the way she has turned out.She's a good person with a good heart and would never hurt anyone.I have been in her home many,many times and my grand children are like any other children, they like to play, but that's a no, no where they are
living, you can't expect to keep two small children on a chesterfield watching TV all day and keep their little mouths shut. I can't believe the landlord would send a letter to my daughter saying that her children are not allowed to have their little friends in to play with.And I don't know how the landlord and his other tendant can look in the mirror and feel good about what they have done to this little family.I'm sure if they were in my daughters shoes, they would both fight this.And this is what I want my daughter to do,I want her to speak up and fight this,she has friends that live in that building that care for her and the children.I thought she had rights, this is Canada isn't it.

Anonymous said...

Gees.. I cannot believe that it is still winter and an eviction notice is given. How can that be with 2 childen? Colleen they are so adorable. I demand that the woman downstairs is a complainer. I have one of those in my building. I gave him an eviction notice, but he begged me to stay and said he promised to shut his mouth. He has not complained since. I decided to let him stay on a tryout. What a difference!! Complainers need to be sat down and say hey...this is a family building..if you don't like kids, put in for another place...to me the kids are the winners here..God forbid.. I will go with a sign on my chest right near her door..and say kids have rights..and it takes a good Mother to raise them... but a mother has to be in good health to take good care of her kids.. children at that age cannot sit down all day. Colleen, your nerves must be shot by now. God bless you dear. I am so furious at this other woman, and I don't even know her. She needs a couple of shots of whiskey!!! Wham bam thank you Mamm!!! What if we all try to get her out before it is too late...who is the Landlord? I want to call him, or go see him.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mom

Anonymous said...

What is a single woman doing in a family building anyway? Apparantly she does not like kids. Can you tell me who she is?

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,
Thank you so much for your lovely compliments on my children. I know I am biased but I must agree with you, they are adorable. I am renting from Fredericton Rentals... Jim Gorham is the one who came to my door to hand me the eviction notice in front of my 4 year old. And yes you are right, my nerves are shot! I am really at a loss of what to do here. I'm so glad that Charles blogged my story, if it wasn't for people like you I would feel even worse, you have all given me so much motivation and courage I need to fight and go on! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I really appreciate the people like you in the world who are still considerate to others and understand what humanity is. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't put childen where a single person is underneath. That was wrong. I feel bad, because the same thing happened to me. Kids have a life. I moved because a lady complained about my kids. I was not evicted just got fed up. I went into my own apartment and had to pay higher rent. Cute kids!! Kisses and hugss family!! Good luck Colleen. I hope you win this situation!! She will pay!! What goes around comes around and she will have her days to face the critics!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,
I'm afraid I don't know the lady underneath's name. I have never confronted her face to face, and we have never met. I only hear about her and her complaints through people who work in the building. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Charles!! Thanks for your blog site. I do not have much time to do this, but I respect you man for all you do. I live close by, and I have the right to evict. Tell that complainer woman I have a room for rent at 75 Carleton Street in Fredericton NB. Heeeeeeee hmmmmmm this would be interesting!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous 5:38
Thank you for your comments, again I have gained more strength and courage with your kind words.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!~!!

Anonymous said...

Colleen!! I would love to be able to have the time to spend with you. I met you once and you seem nice and your Mom too.. a big hug to you and your kids. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww... thank you all so much! This all touches my heart so much. And it gives me hope...Hugs back to all of you!

Anonymous said...

That's my little girl, I told you she was a good person.She doesn't deserve this.When she says thank you, to all you people, she really means it from the heart.My poor babies.Thanks to all of you for giving my daughter strength and support.God Bless You.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I Cant believe that what this world is coming too...I have know Colleen all her life and she is the kindest sweetest person around....people need to relize that this world has so much problems in it and this is just unbelievable that people have to add this stress on people...Colleen goes to school to better herself and move out of that building..while bring up 2 babies...She goes grocery shopping with her kids and buys cooked chickens to give to the homeless person and now they want to make her HOMELESS!!!!! What the hell is wrong with some people!!! There is sooooo much worse than that out there...God Bless people like Colleen...People should really think about what they do before bring hopelessness to others...I hope u can sleep at night!!!!! Kim

Anonymous said...

Charles, too bad we didn't have the phone number of Fredericton Rentals... Jim Gorham, for those of us not in the Fredericton area, and everybody could start placing phone call's, to complain about this.

Remember people," If this happened to this Lady, it could happen to a whole lot more. Maybe even you reading this comment.

Anonymous said...

Awww... thank you Kim. I love you! You're the best!Muah!

Anonymous said...

That landlord sleeps just fine at night, he goes to bed with a smile on his face,thinking of all the money he has just collected from all his tentants.He doesn't care about that lady with her two small children, that he just evicted and has no place to go.Why should he care, he has a nice home and a nice warm bed to get into at night, his kids are nice and warm and in a safe place, where ALL CHILDREN SHOULD BE, IN A WARM SAFE PLACE.I'm sure he's thinking he might want to buy another building so he can have more money, this man is a very greedy person and shame on you MR.LANDLORD.As for that women that lives down stairs, she doesn't care either, but I have always believed in that saying to, what goes around comes around.And all I can say is be ready lady.

Anonymous said...

Kind and unselfish, and a real honey to boot:) Keep on fighting. Don't be too hard on the woman downstairs,there are lots of people with mental problems and I myself have a noise sensitivity problem. Noises that are loud to some people sound massive to me. Noises some can hardly hear are like yelling to me. I live in a rural area because the sound of lawn mowers are so loud I had to wear headphones all the time. People don't usually complain for the fun of it, however, that doesn't mean you quit fighting it. After all, she can get headphones. You can go to most municipal governments and they have mediators between neighbours that are quite helpful if you don't want to approach the neighbour yourself.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous 8:59 PM,
I completely understand that what may be tolerable to some is an issue for others. Beleive me I have gone out of my way literally to try to make things easier for the girl beneath me. My son is in school from 8-2, and then I spend time with them from 2-4 playing video games or watching a movie. It's really cold so we are limited on what activities we partake in. Then I make their supper for them, and that's clear by 5:30. Then I take them to their friends house till 6:45. We then come home and they have their snack and bath and they're all tucked in by 7 or a little after. Every other weekend they go to their dad's house, and most times I try to keep them in my room which isn't above any room in her apartment. (I've asked which room is best for us to station ourselves so not to disturb her). She is a student and I understand that she needs her quiet time as myself am a student. I have done my best to accomadate her and her needs, but she gives no room for me to live. I can't even watch tv! As I said before, the floors are very thin, and there's nothing in between them to block noise. I don't want to disturb her, or make her life miserable. In fact, I don't even blame her... I blame the landlord for not trying to put the installation between the floors to help block the noise. I also can hear her! But I have never made a complaint against her... I realize when you live in a building, especially a family oriented one that you have to tolerate somethings sometimes, even when it's difficult or inconvenient. I appreciate your story and your comments and believe me I will consider that she may have an issue with sensitivity to noise. As I've said... I really don't want to bother or attack anyone, I just want to be able to live myself as well, and have some peace of mind that my children are secure in their home. Thanks so much! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Don't misunderstand, I was even talking more to readers of the board, a few sounded like they were about to lynch her! The only fault now that anybody can find is that you are too nice and accomodating. Time to get out some claws. Jesus said the meek will inherit the earth, but remember, translations from aramaic aren't exact, it could as easily read 'the meek will take over the earth'. Tell that damn rentalsman that your tax dollars pay his salary!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! Ok... I will, hee hee hee!!! Thank you again so much. And thank you for making me have a giggle, it's been a rough week... first laugh all week, mind you I know that it's serious too. It's just the way it come across. You're great!Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

http://www.gorm.ca/pages.asp?pid=1
This is the home page for Fredericton Rentals where Jim Gorham is.

Anonymous said...

colleen keep fighting for you and the kids. i have been though what you are going though and than some.like i mention to my daughter that lives in the same buildingi really think that they should move her.because she sound like trouble.they tryed to do the the same thing to me and i had three kids and i fought with them and won.you will win too.god bless you and i will keep you in my prayers.and you are a good freind of my daughter,and granddaughter.god bless.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous 11:56,
Thank you for your comment... I know who you are. Your daughter and your grand daughter make it real easy to be a friend to, they are the two sweetest people in the world! I don't know how I would make it through without them actually. It's good friends like them that make my life easier. I'm very grateful to them, and to you for your comments. I know your story as well. You are a real inspiration to me. If you can do it! Then surely to god I can too. Thanks so much for your support! I appreciate it... Take care!