Saturday, August 26, 2006

ANOTHER CITIZEN ARRESTED AND CHARGE FOR TAKING PICTURES!!!


8
Originally uploaded by Oldmaison.
New Brunswick court of law will order the citizens of this Province that since The Irvings own all the newspapers?

Only their employees will be allowed to take pictures.

8

Here's the photographer story -

Despite all charges being dropped on the protesters (asaf, and 2 of the other 3 photographers) mine were not dropped yet. This is surprising since I was furthest from the scene, across from city hall on a park bench taking pictures. What's ironic is that asaf was the only one who was treated with physical and vocal disregard and cruelty, the rest of us were treated as white-skinned community members. What's more is that the 3 other people who were arrested all had cameras and were taking pictures of the incident -- oddly enough that was my only crime. And since the event my camera hasn't worked properly รข€“ most of the pictures from the event turned out bad, as you can see if you look at them.

While the other tickets have been discarded my charges still stick, I went to court the other day and I will have a trial in a year. All this for sitting on a park bench taking pictures from across the street -- and yet my ticket says that I failed to disperse. Something is fishy in this city and it isn't coming from the river cause all the fish are dead.

Moreover this isn't a time to regain faith in our police force -- remember it took another police force, lots of media attention, and counter protests to make this misconduct public. This is a time to recognize the weakness in our police force and the potential for it to always happen so long as we are reluctant to scrutinize their actions regularly.

The police in this city are installed to maintain poverty, and create criminality -- the real crooks are those whose decisions go unnoticed in this city, and one of these days they will be held accountable both for their actions and their lack of action.

If some of us doubt the extent that our police force would become accountable for their actions its because the police in this city are on the side of those who pay their salary; definitely not the poor, and definitely not in a critical analysis of their own behavior.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true and city police has serious problems. There is racism which has been brought to the attention of previous chief and the current police chief. Also mayor has been informed. Years have gone by and nothing substantial has been done. Brad Woodside must do something. Minorities in this city have been scared for last 3 to four decades. This was another wake up call. The cop who assaulted Rashid does not belong in the police force. He must be given pink slip.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know more about this story so I can post something on my blog. Can you provde us with a little more background info.

Thanks.

www.AtlanticBlogger.com

Anonymous said...

What else would you like to know?
Duane.Rousselle@unb.ca

:-)

Harrap said...

I knew Asaf Rashid when I was growing up. He is a very kind and sincere person.

It is unfortunate and scary how the police singled him out because of race. I hope this serves as a wakeup call!

Anonymous said...

I was one of the others arrested, but for the record, I did not have a camera... I just thought I should clear that up.