Thursday, May 03, 2007

ABEL LEBLANC IN A ROOMING HOUSE!!!!


IMG_5139
Originally uploaded by Oldmaison.
I was walking with honest Abel LeBlanc yesterday.

I said - Abel? I never showed ya where I live? Come on.... Give me 10 minutes.

We proceeded in a alley.


IMG_5249



Abel was surprised that you had to go inside the back via the back door.

We climbed a little stairway.



IMG_5250



I walked in first and Abel being a newcomer didn’t hold the door.

WHAM!!!!! The door shut very hard.

The caretaker just happen to be in the hallway and said - Charles? Don’t slam the door!!!

It was the first time I had the caretaker telling me this in a stern way.

She never saw who was behind me.

I said - Abel? That is what you call a Caretaker. That person can evict you in one hour. Boarders and Roomers have no rights in this Province.



IMG_5137



This was the first time Abel was in a Rooming House.

The caretaker was very surprised to see an elected official in the building. < Especially since no election was called...>

Abel couldn’t believe what he was witnessing?

I got Abel in my room and he said - You have been living here for two years????



IMG_5138



I reminded the MLA that I’m never here and I got my cable, stereo system and computer in different corners of the room so I don’t mind.

What I told Abel is that there’s 20,000 roomers in this Province and there’s people living in worst condition than me.

I always said that if I ever saw Shawn Graham walking downtown alone? I will invite the guy over so he can see first hand what’s going on?



IMG_8052




I'm a strong believer there's a reason for everything. If I didn't live in a rooming house? I wouldn't hear or see the stories. I live in my little room and nobody bothers me.


IMG_2516



All the MLA’S saw the awful living conditions in Saint John during the by-election.

I had many conversations about the issue of the poor and it’s a bad one.

The issue of protection of Boarders and Roomers must be address as soon as possible.




charles


Maybe after what Abel saw? He could add a little speed to the bill?

Who knows?

Gordon Porter and the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission made it very clear that the Government should ignore the poor at any cost.


knifeIMG_8469



We might set up a tent city on the lawn of the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission this summer.

Stay tuned

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, it was nice of Abel to go see where you live.

One thing though, no you will not have a tent city in front of the NB Human Rights Commission. How do I know this? Because you always cry wolf, you are all talk no action.

Anonymous said...

Charles all talk and no action? Boy that's funny! There won't be a tent city though because the government won't allow it.

Anonymous said...

One thing is for sure you have to Love Abel. He is honest and caring and thats what I like about him. I wish he was my MLA but it really doesn't matter because I have in the past gone to him and he did not turn me away even though I was not in his riding. We need more Abel's in Government!

awareness said...

keep inviting them in, Charles. Great post! Keep the story alive.... you know they're reading...

You don't have to put up a tent city.... continue with the blogger journalism.... word will spread and before you know it, you'll be pouring a coffee for Graham!

Anonymous said...

Charles, I think that was your best blog of all time!

That's exactly the type of stuff that helps "the least of these."

You don't have to blow up the building or beat up the landlord/caretaker, and you don't have to lie down, do nothing & just take the crap.

There is a third way to confront injustice.

And this is it.

I call it the Jesus Way:) God bless you both and keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Well you can thank your god that porter is out of education.It was absolutely impossible to teach him anything.
Teachers are MUCH happier.

Anonymous said...

Action speaks louder than words. Is Abel going to get the tenants act in motion? What exactly is he going to do? His only private motion is to help barbers set up their own association. He may be a nice guy, but ultimately what is needed is that the Residential Tenants Act be given Royal Proclamation and something done to deal with the issues. Having politicians over for coffee doesn't do anything, however, I agree that its a better tactic than pissing off bureaucrats and people in the streets with pictures. It was the Tenants Act that got you first noticed Charles, as said above, keep it up.