Wednesday, January 23, 2008


Originally uploaded by Oldmaison


Anonymous said...

Yup true journalist will do research before reporting on a story. Unlike you that just comes out making statements without doing any research.

Way to go CBC in getting real facts. Too bad Charles doesnt' do the same.

Anonymous said...

Will they give any reason for this continued lack of professionalism.
Probably bilingual though

From the moment District 10 RCMP responded to the call about a missing person in Plaster Rock, RCMP officers conducted a multi-faceted search for the man, Sgt. J. P. Dufrense told the Victoria Star.

Donald Cox, a 78-year old Plaster Rock resident, was declared missing at about 6 p.m. on Jan. 4. He was reportedly last seen near the Plaster Rock post office on Orange Street. On Wednesday, Jan. 9, Cox's body was discovered in a back yard on Park Street, less than two blocks from his last known whereabouts.

"We conducted a thorough investigation…. The officers involved in this case worked very hard to try and find Mr. Cox," Sgt. Dufrense stated.

Once police received the initial call that Cox was missing, officers patrolled all the streets in the immediate area looking for signs of the elderly man. Police also canvassed local business asking if anyone had seen Cox, who was know to walk and visit several businesses.

"He had left his home in the afternoon and the weather was very cold that evening…. Mr. Cox had been reported missing to us before, but the temperature that evening was minus 25 or so," the officer stated.

When no one had found Cox by Saturday, Jan. 5, Sgt. Dufrense said the RCMP continued their search. A door to door canvas of neighbours in the Orange Street area yielded no clues, while RCMP officers used snowshoes to walk a local trail that Cox had often used in warmer months. Sgt. Dufrense said officers also contacted the RCMP dogmaster in Bathurst to see about a canine search, but the dogmaster felt the heavy pedestrian traffic near the post office, his last known whereabouts, would not yield a successful result.

"The dog could pick up any track, the last freshest scent, and the heavy traffic at the post office would not work."

"On Saturday we searched every street and talked to many people between the post office and his home on Route 108," Sgt. Dufrense stated. "We also requested the RCMP helicopter to conduct an aerial search."

Sgt. Dufrense said the police helicopter was down for maintenance, so a civilian helicopter owner was contacted, but the low cloud cover prevented an aerial search.

"Another factor was he was a person that was known to be not anti-police, but might not want to be approached by police from our past contacts," he stated. "He might be the type that if he saw the police car looking for him he might hide from the police."

Anonymous said...

Sgt. Dufrense said during all this time the police had considered contacting ground search and rescue volunteers, but considering the police had already reached from the post office to his home, police could not see "what else the ground search and rescue could do."

Sgt. Dufrense said RCMP asked taxi operators and inquired at the bus stop to see if Donald Cox had left the area. The police also issued a press release and asked village officials to alert residents using the talk mail alert system.

Taxi operators better than search and rescue??????????????????

Anonymous said...

The police officer pointed out that because Donald Cox's relatives were not in the area, the initial contact was with an individual who said she was his common-law wife.

"It is not the police's fault that this lady did not share the information with his relatives," he stated. "That was the closest person, and we would share information with that person."

Talk about dumb!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...


We would like to thank the wonderful people of Plaster Rock for their kindness, and openness while we dealt with the disappearance and death of our father Donald Cox.

Everyone was so warm and giving to us during this difficult time. All the people of Plaster Rock, the places that we visited, the people's hearts that he touched, people like Donald Smith, Carl at the barber shop, the Wilson's, the people of the community were incredible. We would come back to Plaster Rock just to see them again and say thank-you one more time.

Everyone opened their hearts and arms to us, they didn't shut us out. They provided open communications and information on what they knew about our father and his life in Plaster Rock.

We would like to thank Mark Rickard, editor of the Victoria Star, for listening to our concerns about our father, his disappearance and how he was found. Special thanks to Lou at Brunswick Funeral Home, who stopped the cremation order so we could see our father for the last time.

Unfortunately we cannot say the same about the Plaster Rock RCMP. They could not even take the time to met with us until days after we arrived. Their lack of help, attitude and communication just added to our grief. We know local authorities would call the ground search and rescue or make all possible efforts if it was their family member. I hope this will wake them up before another life (loved one) is lost.

The RCMP's services and conduct, needs to be looked into by the people and whole community and held accountable.

Donaldo (Dolly) Cox

Belleview Florida

Donna (Cox) Harding

Jackson's Point Ontario.

Anonymous said...

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association says the police handcuffing and tethering of a Victoria teenager in a cell for four hours amounted to torture.

A police officer holds a nylon strap with a metal buckle, similar to the one used to restrain Willow Kinloch.
Police surveillance videotape released on Tuesday shows how Victoria police handcuffed 15-year-old Willow Kinloch and then used a nylon strap to bind her legs and secure her feet to the bottom of a cell door, giving her just a few centimetres to move.

"It's the almost inhumane treatment of a young girl … the length of time that anybody would have to endure that kind of a position seems to be cruel and unusual punishment, really," said Murray Mollard, the head of the BCCLA.

In police lingo, the nylon strap with a metal buckle used on Kinloch is a modified restraining strap.

Murray Mollard, the executive director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, watches the police surveillance video.
CBC News spoke to several police officers in the Metro Vancouver area who said it was developed in response to public concerns over Taser stun-gun use, and is commonly used to restrain a variety of prisoners, from those with mental health issues to drunks.

The use of the restraint is governed by the Victoria Police Department's use-of-force guidelines, which state, "A prisoner who is violent or likely to injure can be placed in the modifed restraint strap. But once the officer is satisfied the prisoner is under control … the restraint shall be removed."

Mollard notes Kinloch remained in virtually one position for four hours, even though officers questioned her during that time.

"It's a disturbing video to watch all-round, and it's an even more disturbing story," said Mollard.

The BCCLA is calling for a criminal investigation of the officers involved, and also intends to file a complaint with the B.C. Police Complaints Commissioner, said Mollard.

The Victoria police surveillance tape shows Willow Kinloch was tethered to the door, hands and feet bound.
(Victoria Police Department)
Victoria police told CBC News the use of the restraint was necessary because the 1.5 metre tall girl was drunk, swearing at officers, had to be forcibly removed from a police car, was kicking the door of the cell, and grabbed one officer on the arm.

Police picked up Kinloch outside her family home around midnight in May 2005 after neighbour complaints that she was staggering out of control. Kinloch told CBC News she had gotten extremely drunk at a party and had lost her house key so she was unable to get into her home.

Police said when Kinloch was unable to say where she lived, they took her to the main police station and put her in a padded cell to sober up.

Kinloch's family has filed a civil lawsuit against the City of Victoria and the four officers involved.

The case is expected to go to trial this fall.