Friday, August 12, 2005

CHARLES PERSON OF THE WEEK!!!

It’s not an easy task to choose the person of the week???

Well after thinking about it? I finally found that person.

It’s a mysterious individual. This is twice this happens in this blog for the person of the week!

mysterious


My person of week is Number#21!!!

mysterious

Who might this individual be you ask?

I first came face to face with 21 during my protest.

charles1

As many other people in the Capital, she was a panhandler.

But this needy person was different from the others.

At first, I knew there was something wrong because she was very skinny! Her arms had little muscles and she was wearing a black one piece skirt.

I told her that I had no money and she quietly move on to the next person. She wasn't like other panhandlers.

drunk
Charles 04_11_05 023

She wasn’t rude. She was very polite. I might add that number 21 never sold her body for drugs!

beyer_gina_mary

What really caught my attention was her eyes!

It was the eyes of innocent. She had beautiful eyes but you immediately could tell that she was hurting.

Close to one year afterwards, Alan White a radio reporter for CBC made a story on Number 21!

alan

She was living in a tent in the North side.

Alan told the audience that she was on Dilaudid.

The veteran reporter said that number 21 is on the Methadone waiting list.

This is where she got her nickname number 21.

She was the 21st person on the waiting list!

Afterwards, I would always asked her how she was making out?

I really felt bad for her and this summer I didn’t see number 21 around the City. I always wondered if something happen to her?

Around one month ago while volunteering at the Fredericton Soup Kitchen, I noticed number 21 sitting down at a table eating.

When you’re on Dilaudid? You don’t eat much.

poor

I quickly left my duties and approached her. I asked how she was making out?

Charles 04_11_05 022
Charles 04_11_05 016

She told me that she has been on methadone for the last week! I congratulated her and I was very proud of her.

This week while I was at the addiction centre to get some info about the methadone clinics.

I bumped into number 21 and she was still on Methadone.

She told me that she’s looking forward to go back to work and get her life back!

After a little chat, she left the building.

So? This is an addicted person who might get her life back and she’s working very hard on it!

This is the reason that number 21 is my person of the week!!!!!

She should be congratulated for a job very well done!

With God willing? She’ll be ok!

cross
mysterious

Good luck number 21!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good choice for person of the week since you have dedicated a whole
week to the ongoing problem of Prescription Drugs.

It has been very interesting
reading and very sad at the same time.

Best Wishes go out to #21 for
continued success with the Methadone program and job hunting.

Anonymous said...

Hi to #21, congradulations, it must be hard work for her, would like to know more of her story, how she was able to get back on her feet, it's a beautiful world out there with lots of help if your grasp for it and be truthfull, be responsible for your actions and not be a crying victum. So much for the lecture. Get some fun in the sun and go to work. Regards JJ

Anonymous said...

I think that this issue needs to be put in a bigger forum, I think that you should email a post of this issue to the Reader's Forum of the Fredericton Daily Gleaner. I would also email a post of this issue to the Moncton Times& Transcript. If you simply stick to the issue and don't seek to demorlize any one then they will publish what you write. I have been sending comments on Articles dealing with the issue of Abortion and Same-Sex Marriage I have expressed my christian Views quite strongly, and they still post what I have written on. I don't seek to demoralize anyone individual I just state what christian Teaching expresses on these issues and send it out. I don't obsess over it. I just say my piece and make sure that the editor and the readers understand that I am not out to bash anyone. the next thing I know, it is in oneof the daily editions some time the following, or coming week. And no I do not pledge my alleagence to any Except My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

Mike? Let me tell you that only the elite will be granted a guest column in the Irving paper. I wrote a good one about the way the poor are treated in Saint john and the Capital. It's two different cities and it's two different countries. Anyway, the editor told me that I could write one and I did! My column was suppose to be printed on a certain Monday but Peter Haggart was transfered to the Gleaner from the telegraph Journal on the Sunday my column was to be printed. My column was denied! This man from Ontario phoned me and told me they they will only print praising letters of the Irvings! Enough said! These are ordersa from J.D. Irving himself. Which remind me? I got to blog a story about the Irvings!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think 1 of the reasons prescription drugs are such a problem in NB is the fact that a person selling diladid or oxycoton should they get arrested, get less of a jail term,if they get 1 at all, campared to them selling heroin or cocain etc.
A person can get a life sentence in Canada for selling heroin cocain and now crystal meth. I saw the news story on CTV news on the 12th of August, 2005. Canada has added crystal meth the list of drugs that a person making or selling this stuff can go to jail for life. If anyone has seen a person on meth let me tell you this. It makes people crazy! And it is on its way to the "the greatest litle city in the east".
beware.