Wednesday, December 07, 2005

CAN ANYONE HELP THIS FAMILY WITH A FOOD HAMPER????

_poverty

This is a comment that was use in the blog - AN EMAIL FROM A POOR WORKING MOTHER IN FREDERICTON! I have their email address and this very long emotional letter is from the husband. I was surprised that it was posted in the commeny story. Maybe someone can help out there. Just let me know. I guess that I'm the moderator in this one.

You can send me an email at oldmaison@yahoo.com

Here's the letter! I might add that it's pretty sad-

There is indeed more to the story than what was mentioned. Just ecause you are married to a Canadian citizen, does not mean it makes it any easier to become a citizen. Most circumstances are sponsership through Immigration. But there are cases such as ours, where I am a non status citizen. I first came to Canada, on my way to Alaska, in 1997. Legally, may I add. I decided to check out Vancouver and Victoria while I was passing through. I met my wife right around that time. We debated on what to do about our both being from different countries, and felt it was best if I just stayed in Canada and not have introduce her to the enviornment of the U.S. We did not know what to do, so we travelled around B.C. for a few years. We were in Vancouver with 2 dogs and no place to stay. We discovered that she was pregnant and decided we need to fix our problem through immigration. They gave us an appointment for 2 months later. We did not want to stay on the streets of Vancouver as it is not a very kind place. We ended up looking around the B.C. coast for a place to get jobs and a place to have our child. We even had to give up our dogs, which was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I had come to Canada with my dog. We settled on Vancouver Island.

Meanwhile, we missed our appointment in Vancouver. Our main priority was getting my wife into a home, and off the streets. About two months before our child was born, she was asked for ID along with one of her friends. They were doing nothing wrong. I was getting a sandwich for her. Well, it turns out, there was a Canada wide immigration warrant for me, on her name when they ran it. They arrested me and I was sent to Vancouver immediately. That, was the beginning of our experiences with an unjust immigration system. The officers that transfered me were just that .... transport officers. I was held in Vancouver jail and then brought forth in front of ONE MAN in an office. He simply stated that I was going home. I asked to see a judge, and was told I do not get to see one. I asked to see my wife, and he said no. I said I did not feel it was fair, as I had been in this country for 5 years, was married and have a child coming in two months. He said something I will never forget. He said " I am retiring in 4 weeks, I dislike people from south of the border, and you will be leaving in 20 minutes in handcuffs going back across the border you came over. I am using your felony for a reason, and that is all I need. End of discussion" I put up quite a fuss, but it did not matter, as I was on my way to the border not much after that. He could have just
as simply put me in the system. If the day comes it happens again, I am going to claim refugee under humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

About my felony. One day in California, I did not return a car on time and was charged with
"taking of a vehicle". One of the lowest felonies you can get. I admit that I did not take the car back when I was supposed to and maybe should have called. Something I would never do again. I was quite young, not that it is an excuse. I was given a piece of paper from my judge in California, giving me permission, as a felon, to leave and go be with my wife in Canada. She understood that it was important to be with a wife and a newborn child, especially from the beginning. When I got back to the border, I simply stated who I was, and showed them the papers I had. I was laughed at and the officer said my papers did not mean anything to him and that an american judge can't tell him to let me in. And he denied me. No offense, but no imaginary line would stop me from being with my wife and the child that was about to be born any day. I pure an simply just walked right across the park and the border and did not look back. No imaginary line will ever keep me from my family now. They would have to put me in a steel and concrete cage and keep me there forever.

I have now been in Canada for almost 9 years. We try and live a normal life, but there is no way for us to get ahead. We are not on welfare and have not been. I do not abuse the medical system and have not seen a doctor in a decade. I do not go to a dentist, and have even had to pull my own teeth. I do not drive. I would never try to get fake ID. I just live life as I know it, honestly and respectful of all. Stress is always upon me and my wife. I sit here every day and watch her work all the time and goto school full time. I am quite capable of working but someone has to raise our child. Kind of hard to get a job here in Fredericton with no ID. I value every moment I get with my child. My wife does not get that joy. She sees our child about 20 something hours a week. Her routine is to get up, spend an hour with our child, and goto school, come home for 30 minutes for dinner, then off to work till 3 AM and back to bed. We know that it will be worth it, at least she will get some school and hopefully a better job. But, nothing replaces the hurt in my child's voice when he cries to see his mommie! I SHOULD BE WORKING WHILE SHE IS IN SCHOOL! It doesn not make me feel to good about myself, knowing this.

So, why do we not go to the immigration and see if things can work out. After how we were treated in BC, we have a lack of faith in that department. If you try to contact them here in Fredericton, you get machines. If you try and go in, they have no one there and a book to sign and leave a number in and what it is about. (we took that as a sign) We really do not feel like leaving our info in the book and having the Police knocking on our door trying to tear us apart, before we can even get a chance to plead our case. Then there are the fees. We can not afford a lawer. We can not afford the application fees which are quite high. Her job hardly pays her anything and what little we have, barely covers are bills. We juggle bills untill they are overdue and pay them when she gets taxes back. Then the vicious cycle starts over. I have been in Canada for a decade. This is my home. Her family is my family. If I have to leave, she will have to quit work and school to go on welfare as a single mom. She will lose the place we live in. We of course can not allow that to happen. It is not feasible for us and our child, which is starting to get to the age of asking questions and understanding what is going on.

We have wrote dozens of letters to the immigration minister. Not one single relpy in 3 years. We have been blown off Andy Scott's office and could not even get past talking with a rude secretary. We have written letters to the Premier's office and not one response. It is much more simple for them to ignore the problem. There are lots of non status people that have been here for much longer than me. We have met at least 3 dozen couples in the same exact situation as ours. There have been estimates of any where between 200,000 to 400,000 non status individuals in Canada, and those are very low estimates compared to all the research I do on a regular basis. Sure, the government is "fixing" the problems with immigration, but they are doing nothing about people like us. They have seem to lost the compassion that Canada used to be known for.

As far as I know, I might even get deported over speaking up, if it were figured out who I was. I do not hide who I am when I meet people in person. I believe in honesty and respect. It really bothers us that many Americans that have far worse records than I do, are regularly allowed into Canada. They buy thier way. I am sure that my borrowing a car and not getting it back on time, is far worse than all the crack that 50 Cent was convicted of. Or all the violence he promotes. Robert Downey Jr can come film up here, and he has a long record. Martha Stewart is another example. Meanwhile, people like me are a threat! I just want to live an honest life with my wife and raise our child.

When we decided to get a hamper which will be much welcomed and needed this christmas, we at first thought of the Sally Ann but knew they would require ID's. So, we decided our best option was to goto one of the churches. That way we could state our case and not have to show Id. We figured the church would of course help us. I do not know what little kid has not been told you can turn to a church in time of need. Well, that was not the case. You need to have a medicare number before they will help you. That is what this world has come to! My wife called and because of this, they would not help us. I was angry, I admit, and I called them back wanting to know how they could refuse us. The lady was combative and would not put me through to someone else. Finally, after I asked what the media would think of thier church refusing a Christmas hamper because of someone's immigration status, I was transfered and told they would make an exception. We have talked about it and do not feel safe going to that church and getting the hamper now. Yes... we do not trust the first lady at the church and have no clue if she would turn us in. No hamper is worth being deported over!

My wife went to the Sally Anne and filled out a thing for a hamper there. She just marked down herself, and our child, and did not even mention my existence. We figure getting the much needed food hamper was more important than another problem. Our problem will never go away. I guess that is a small price to pay than having to take my wife and son go and live in the US.... I thought immigration was there to help people come to Canada, not force thier own citizens to leave with thier loved ones who can not be here.

Immigration issues come and go. They seem to always stay in the back of the spotlight. Non Status people treated as if they are non existent. In Toronto, they have a "Don't ask Don't Tell" policy on non status immigrants. If they are asking for help, they will be helped and not turned in. Here in Fredericton, there is no such thing. There is no help available for folks in our type of situation. We are alone. Just a dot on a system that does not work.

As the years go by and my son grows up, I dread the many questions he will ask. I really would not know what to tell him. I feel I should tell him the truth, that I am worthless, but my wife will have no part of letting me do that. I now wonder what I will tell him about churches when he asks. I will just have to let someone else answer that. I do know that we will raise him to respect all life regardles of race, religion or immigration status!

I never thought I would be posting about our situation locally, so I can only hope that nothing ill happens because of doing so. This is my home. I waited my whole life to leave the US. I am glad I made that decision. I wish the Canadian government can honor my decision!

sorry for a book, but I felt I needed to explain our situation instead of fading off and not responding.

John Doe

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I wish I could help. Money is not available this time of year.

The Government here in Canada need to be accountable and take time to look into things and make sure things are done to help people or will soon have problems that are a lot more serious than we have seen so far. Reality will hit us someday but I hope it doesnot take a tragedy for the people in authority to do there jobs. If not enough manpower hire people. Something is truly wrong with our great country when we bend over backwards for the wealthy billionaires only and change laws for them. Right now the government will also do alot for the Chinese families that bring wealth. We can't take everyone in but right now all people need to at least have a voice and be heard. I pray that comes now.

Anonymous said...

Money is not the answer to everything. Some people believe that the pen is mightier than the sword. I too believe in that philosophy and also believe that the word is more mighty that the dollar. The power is in the people. If the Liberals could care less about the situation, it is time to find out what the other parties think about it. I have taken the time to write the various parties for their take on the situation.

Here was my question to all...

The reason I am writing today, is because of a local blog and a story that was sent in. I am referring to this......
http://oldmaison.blogspot.com/2005/12/email-from-poor-working-mother-in.html
http://oldmaison.blogspot.com/2005/12/can-anyone-help-this-family-with-food.html
With the election time coming, I would like to know where you stand on a situation, such as this couples problem. It seems to be a major issue. They have no one they can turn to for help. Andy Scott's office has ignored them. The premier's office and the immigration office have failed to return their correspondence. Would you do the same? Me and my wife have decided to base who we vote on determined by the answers to this situation. People do not deserve to hold an office if they will not even help their own citizens in their riding, which seems to be the case. That young lady is Canadian along with her child. She can vote, and I am sure her family would most likley vote for a candidate that cared about their daughter's situation. One day her child will vote. People need to be heard.

Would you try to help these folks if your party was in office?

John Carty's office was quick with a response.They replied within an hour or so. Here is the response....

"If Mr. Carty were elected we would welcome a visit from the couple to hear their concerns and we would try to help them in anyway we can. We would actively work with the couple to help them to come to the best solution for their unique situation. After reading the two posts on Mr. LeBlanc's blog we are still unclear about what that solution would be, but we think that by meeting with the couple and listening to their full story, we would be more than willing to help them."

That shows, that it might just be the party currently in power, that does not care.

We will just have to wait and see what the other offices have to say. I am really interested in what Andy Scott and Premier Lord's replies will be. An honest question deserves an honest answer

Anonymous said...

To rain on the parade just a little, that sounds like a politicians answer, which of course is better than nothing.

"We'll do all we can" is not a response, it is an evasion. The answer you're looking for is that "we will intervene on their behalf with the immigration board. We will insure that the man is not sent back to the states, and if their story is true then he will be expedited through the immigration process"

Of course you will never GET that answer from a politician, because then all of a sudden TONS of similar cases are brought in that want a similar resolution.

Federally that's all they can do, and it's up to the individual. If you make this public then perhaps the politician will commit. I doubt it, the maritimes make no difference federally, and representatives know that people vote mostly on party lines and what the party will do. That's not true of everybody, but in general.

The only real recourse I can see is if the couple can be helped out of poverty and then make a PUBLIC issue of this. At some point he's going to have to 'come out of the closet', perhaps its better when the child is older. They say the girl is going to school, so perhaps she can get decent work once finished.

Either a PUBLIC issue is made of this and the man steps out of the shadows and we try to make a public issue of it, or else they continue on as they are and we try to help out as best as we can.

In the meantime a good immigration lawyer should be found. Anybody know a good one? Are there any in NB?

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the gentleman is still reading, heres a good blog: www.entercanada.ca

I would say that our mystery gentleman should take the opportunity while at home to learn a specific trade, particularly one that is in demand (what that would be in New Brunswick I'm not sure)

Online and at the library there are virtually unlimited resources available. Many places take volunteers with no identification. The most important thing with immigration is to make oneself a vital part of your community. Go to church. Volunteer where you can, if the school has volunteer opportunities, go there. Go to nursing homes, salvation army, anywhere that will take volunteers, the more people you know, the better off you'll be. If you are isolated then nobody knows you but your immediate family, if you have a community behind you it makes all the difference in the world.

There are thousands of opportunities for development, writing, drawing, learn specialized computer software. THe library has tons of books, and if you have a computer and live in fredericton you have internet, which gives unlimited possibilities. If you don't have a computer, email charles, computers are cheap to come by and we'll find one for you.

I remember being unemployed though and it was a sickening feeling. Most importantly, have a PLAN. Learn EVERYTHING about the immigration system and read every book you can find on it. Make sure your time is not idle.

I know this sounds preachy, but I know when I was gloomy I really needed somebody to pay attention enough to give some advice. Of course we know little about the situation so feel free to ignore my being a prick.

Like I said on the other post, cafepress has options which enable you to make some cash with no risk at all, all they need is your address, though I'd put it in your wifes name.

We can act like some political party will give a rat's ass, or we can act like a community. Party's have cared little in the past, so from my point of view, answers usually lie in PEOPLE, not political parties. You can also join charles and set up another blog just to deal with immigration issues, you don't need to put your identity, you just keep plugging away. There are always options.

Anonymous said...

The word is powerful and people having rights are too. But their is a need for money if you are cold, hungry and in need of things over this cold winter. Words is all we get and that can only comfort for a short term. Action is needed for people now.

Anonymous said...

Actions are of course needed in situations such as this. It is a shame when there is an able bodied male that can not legally work to support his family. Money could come and help a family like this. But speaking out for them, could possibly change their situation, and also show other families just like theirs, that they can be helped.

" In the meantime a good immigration lawyer should be found. Anybody know a good one? Are there any in NB?"


I am willing to bet any immigration lawyer could get this person legal in a heartbeat. But, finding one that would do pro bono, would be hard.