Saturday, December 17, 2005

FREDERICTON FOOD BANK SHOULD RETURN CALL FOR HELP!!!!

I just received this email and I will add that I do live in that building. Myself, I'm going down home fr Christmas and I'll have all kind of turkey but many poor people in this building won't! Here's her email.
Picture 025

I am a superintendent of a building at 75 Carleton Street. I called the food bank on Friday because I wanted to make a meal for the poor who live here. I the lady said.. " I am sure some people will be going home to there families for Christmas"..well guess what folks..They will all be here. No family!! There are 33 people living here.. 9 people out of 30 will get a small box with a tiny chicken for themselves...what about the 21 other needy people?? The lady at the food bank said she will call me back.. I did not get a call. I am really disapointed that I cannot have enough food for my tenants...I am sad..and a caring person. The people here live on $495 a month ..rent is $325..$310 and the cheapest is $265..I want to have the supper on the 22nd of december..I need help!!! Please I am begging. These People are wanting so much to share this special time of year with each othere.. everybody brings a gift to excahnge for $1.00 Thats all they can afford. I am asking for help... I wonder if we will get any help for this building. Thanks for reading. May God Bless you all!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie where is your story that was supposed to be here this morning?????????

Anonymous said...

The Fredericton Food bank delivered food boxes to 75 Carleton Street. 10 rooms got a box and 5 rooomers donated there Turkey. The poor helping the poor. Thanks to the Fredericton Food bank for the Turkeys. Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd mention, even a huge house in downtown fredericton sells for 300 grand.

In THIS house, with 30 rooms at an average of $300 rent (its probably higher than that), this means that per month the landlord brings in $9000 per month which is $108,000 per year. Deduct heating, and electricity and super's wages you're still looking at AT LEAST $75,000 per year. That means it would take six years at the most to pay off the mortgage. This is all without doing a bit of work.

So the landlord brings in 75 grand a year from these poorest of the poor, which essentially amounts to subsidized housing FOR HIM. The money meant to go to social programs is simply going to rich landlords.

And here are these people helping one another and going to the foodbank (which New Brunswickers supply) and looking for a christmas meal. It appears Scrooge is alive and well, missed the three ghosts and owns boarding houses in New Brunswick.

Anonymous said...

That's disgraceful about that apt. building on Carleton Street considering Tom Young had on his show the other day an official who said they had a large surplus of turkeys this year in Saint John!
I can't believe it, it's outrageous.

Anonymous said...

Charles, where is that big story you promised us yesterday? We're sitting on pins and needles here waiting

Anonymous said...

well heres my story. Mental Health put out an ad that if you are a client there to call 633-1705 and you will be offered a Christmas dinner delivered to your home.
Well I called on Friday, just I just saw the ad then, and I was told I was past the deadline.
So that's my story. And they haven't even delivered the meals yet.
So, yeah, Scrooge is alive and well here in Saint John. It wouldn't hurt these MLA's and MP's one little bit to donate 2 weeks' pay and help the poor have at least one good meal for Christmas.
Sickening!
Paul Zed, are you listening?

Anonymous said...

when I was emotionally "well" I skated for MindCare and helped raise money for them. But now that I am not emotionally well, boy, will Mindcare ever show their true side to those who helped them in the past raise money.
So MindCare wants donations but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, where are they? Oh, you're too late, they say.
Baah Humbug to the people at MindCare.

Anonymous said...

can someone tell me where the Empty Stocking Fund surplus goes every year? because every year they DO have a surplus.
No one seems to know that.

Anonymous said...

Not surprised about the Food Bank!
Things are completely different now; if any one has noticed. Always asking for $$$ only; saying no to "freebies". Fredericton has a lot more homeless and working-poor people then most can imgaine; or care to imagine. I am very glad that they finally gave some turkeys to the "roomer family"; but come on; they shouldn't have even asked questions! IT NOT A QUESTION OF "WHO THEY THINK DESERVES IT"; they know which buildings/areas are "poor". They should have been saying "absoultly, thanks for bringing that to our attention."
NO PERSON SHALL FEEL LESS OF A HUMAN BEING; BECAUSE SOME ONE ELSE JUDGES THEM!
Makes me totally sick!

Anonymous said...

By the way; the Salvation Army is always a great place to go too! The people there are wonderfuly, kind, loving, compassionate people. And they would have never asked questions such as the Food Bank