Wednesday, October 18, 2006

CHARLES SENDS A LETTER TO THE ATLANTIC PRESS COUNCIL BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM???


irving
Originally uploaded by Oldmaison.
The email came back!!! Does anyone know if the Atlantic Press Council still exist??

The guy name is Ken Simms......

Dear Ken....

I haven't made a complaint to you in 7 years. I wish to make a complaint against Jamie Irving of the Irving paper of the Telegraph Journal.

Since we last chatted? It's not the same in my life. I'm a blogger and I truly believe the Irvings wish to disdredit me as a blogger.

I was arrested in June for taking pictures of a protest and I'm going on trail in November. The Irvings covered my story in court but it was easy to get the truth out because at the begining the Irvings insisted that I be called a protester?

It's all in my blog.

You can visit the blog at

oldmaison.blogspot.com

Anyway during my last appearance in court. The Irvings wrote about the details in the court room but at the end of their story? They wrote that I was banned from the Legislature for harrashing the public. I don't know the reasons that I was banned and I'm still working on the issue. I wrote a letter to the editor but the Irvings refuse to print my letter. They discredit me to their readers and I'm not allowed to fight back!

I wish you to investigate this issue and I don't believe you can do anything about this issue but if you can't?

I'll be making a complaint to the Canadian Senate!

Freedom of speech must remain alive in Newe Brunswick!!!

Here's the story and my letter...Please investigate!!!

NB Telegraph-Journal | News - As published on page B4 on September 28, 2006

Blogger to argue police violated his Charter rights

Khalid Malik
Telegraph-Journal

SAINT JOHN - A lawyer for a blogger charged with obstructing a peace officer at the Atlantica conference earlier this year will use the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to defend his client.

Harold Doherty served notice Wednesday when he appeared in Provincial Court to set a trial date on behalf of Charles Joseph LeBlanc.

"It will be a very interesting trial," Judge William McCarroll said as he set aside a full day for the proceedings to take place on Nov. 2. "I am looking forward to it."

LeBlanc, of Fredericton, and Andrew Morgan Webber of Halifax, were charged with obstructing a peace officer during a protest at the international Atlantica conference held in the Saint John Trade and Convention Centre in late June.

Webber initially pleaded not guilty, but changed his plea to guilty and apologized. He was granted an absolute discharge because it was his first offence.

Doherty supplied a brief to the court when the judge asked how he planned to use the Charter for the defence.

Doherty said he will seek a stay of proceedings under a section of the Charter because LeBlanc's rights were breached under three different sections. He said his client's rights were violated when LeBlanc was arrested arbitrarily and without justification.

His rights were also breached when a police officer retrieved LeBlanc's digital camera from the floor after his arrest and, without a search warrant or reasonable grounds, viewed the images in the camera and then deleted them, his lawyer contends.

Doherty said the "intentional deletion of images" was in fact a deletion of evidence that might have assisted LeBlanc in the presentation of his evidence for his defence.

He said the photographic images were of the events, people and places that had figured in his arrest.

The lawyer also said in the brief that LeBlanc's arrest, search of his camera and deletion of images, constituted a breach of a section of the Charter that guarantees freedom of thought, belief, opinion and experiences, including freedom of the press and other medium of communication.

In a letter to this newspaper, LeBlanc maintained that he wasn't a protester at the conference. He was covering the Atlantica conference for his blog and happened to be in the area when the protesters ran through the doors at the Trade and Convention Centre.

Bloggers are the journalism style of the future and the trial will determine how bloggers should be treated in New Brunswick, he said in the letter.

LeBlanc has been banned from entering the provincial legislature or its grounds by a committee of provincial MLAs. The committee said he was banned for showing disrespectful behaviour and harassing legislature and security staff and members of the general public.


Jamie Irving did good until the last paragraph. I wrote this letter over two weeks ago.


To the Editor,

I must send you a letter explaining a little more details of me being banned from the New Brunswick Legislature.

I was told there was a story in your paper of my court appearance in Saint John on Wednesday.
I read the story and everything was ok until I got to the banning of the Legislature.

At the very end of the Story you wrote -

LeBlanc has been banned from entering the provincial legislature or its grounds by a committee of provincial MLAs. The committee said he was banned for showing disrespectful behaviour and harassing legislature and
security staff and members of the general public.

I got one question?

What does this has to do with my court appearance in Saint John?

I just wish to make myself very clear on one issue.

The former Speaker Tanker Malley told the media that I was warned on many occasions to stop harassing the public or the staff.

I got news for you? I was never warned once!!! Not one single instance has the staff approached me asking me to stop harassing people in the People’s House.

As a matter of fact, I never chatted with the staff for over one year but that’s another story. The story is in my blog of the way the Sergeant At Arms Dan Bussieres went out of his way to have me fired from a job that I found working at the New Brunswick Legislature.

It’s a darn shame that your paper had to mention the banning because I believe it’s only one more way to dis-credit this case.

Blogging is the way of the future and this is a very important case in New Brunswick.

The Irvings should concentrate of the way the Police Department deleted all my pictures from my camera and not the banning of the Legislature.

This is Canada and not China!!!

There’s going to be a new Speaker in the House and maybe the sad issue can be settle.

Trust me, I will find out the true reasons that I was banned from the Legislature and then maybe the Irvings can do a story on injustice of New Brunswickers at the Legislature.

Please put aside Charles LeBlanc in your story and concentrate on the issue in hand,

That issue is democracy as we know it!

Charles LeBlanc

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

By: Lindsey Keilty
Date: Oct. 19, 2005



Many daily newspaper readers in Atlantic Canada use letters to the editor to voice their complaints. Most don't know that there is a third party to advocate for them. Photo: Lindsey Keilty

If you Google the Atlantic Press Council, you'll find no website. If you check any Atlantic Canadian phonebook for an Atlantic Press Council contact you'll have no luck. And even if you do somehow manage to get a phone number for the Atlantic Press Council, prepare to leave a message because no one will answer the phone.

"Even the best idea needs to be fed and watered and nourished or it will just wither and hang there," says Halifax Daily News editor Kevin MacIntosh. "As far as I know, in its current capacity, the Atlantic Press Council might as well be dead."

This is the council that is supposed to serve as an ombudsman, to be there to secure the public interest in daily newspapers. It's supposed to be the place you contact if you have a complaint against a newspaper.

Ken Sims, the executive secretary of the council, works full-time as publisher of The Caskett, a weekly paper in Antigonish, NS. One wonders how much time that leaves him to tend to the needs of the press council. Setting up a website, for example.

"We started developing the website but never really finished it," Sims says. "I guess anything that tells people where to go for information would be a benefit. I know that today websites are getting more and more useful."

True. Then why doesn't the Atlantic Press Council have one to promote its services?

Sims pauses to consider and then says that as far as he's concerned websites are "overblown." The press council, he says, gets a lot of publicity from word-of-mouth.

http://journalism.ukings.ca/journalism_3673_6522.html

I guess this old sims coot ain't with it.

Anonymous said...

Public members of the Atlantic Press Council

Public members are appointed by the individual newspapers. Each paper has the right to appoint one public member from its area to serve on the council.

Present members include:

Owen Lockyer in Moncton
Eileen Travis in Saint John
Lloyd MacKay in New Glasgow
Curdis Karrel in Sydney
John Aspin in Charlottown
Elizabeth Bahrens in Corner Brook
Sandy MacFarlane in Amherst
Shannie Duff in St. John's
There are vacancies in Truro, Fredericton, and Summerside

Anonymous said...

There must also be a vacancy in Saint John, since Eileen Travis is no longer with us.