Friday, January 11, 2008

Priere du Jour - Prayer of the Day!!!


Slide24
Originally uploaded by Oldmaison
church

http://www.catholic.net/spiritual_living/template_channel.phtml?channel_id=6
SPIRITUAL LIVING
Prayer and Devotions





We Can Never Be the Same
by Father Roderick Ermatinger, LC

Resolution: Today, seek or make an opportunity to work to spread Christ’s Kingdom in your parish, family, or elsewhere.

January 11, 2008
Christmas Weekday

Luke 5: 12-16
Once, when he was in one of the cities, there was a man covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he bowed with his face to the ground and begged him, "Lord, if you choose, you can make me clean." Then Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, "I do choose. Be made clean." Immediately the leprosy left him. And he ordered him to tell no one. "Go," he said, "and show yourself to the priest, and, as Moses commanded, make an offering for your cleansing, for a testimony to them." But now more than ever the word about Jesus spread abroad; many crowds would gather to hear him and to be cured of their diseases. But he would withdraw to deserted places and pray.

Introductory Prayer: My heavenly Father, you made me out of your infinite love. Even though I have failed to love you as a good child should, still you send me gift upon gift. You sent your Son to redeem me and to make me one with you, in and through your Son. You and your only beloved Son sent your Spirit of Love and Truth, the Holy Spirit, to dwell in my heart, mind and body. Open my heart and eyes to all that you have done for me and continue to do for me, so that I will grow in generosity with you, your Church, and all of your children. Perfect me in the fire of your love, and, as you sent your only Son and your most Holy Spirit, send me into this world to set it ablaze.

Petition: Lord, bless me with an attitude of gratitude for all you have done for me.

1. A Powerful Example of Humility. It is hard for us to imagine the life of the man plagued with leprosy. He led a lonely and pain-filled existence, with little hope in sight. Today’s Gospel passage depicts one of the most touching examples of humility – the leper lowers his head and face as he stands before Christ. Before, this man begged for food, drink, and clothing. Now, he stands before the Son of God, and he begs to be healed. The way he begs is quite moving: He simply acknowledges before Christ that he knows Our Lord can heal him, implying that he will accept whatever Christ decides. This man is quite an example for us.

2. The Change of Action. This profound act of humility touched Our Lord’s heart. Then the Lord’s hand reached out and touched this poor, sick man. Jesus made a choice; the Word of God spoke. He who was covered with sores took on the flesh of a young man. Everything changed. What happens when we go to confession, confess our sins, and receive absolution as the priest stretches out his hand, makes the sign of the cross, and says the words of absolution? How do we respond?

3. Nothing Restrains an Apostle. How did the healed leper respond? We cannot help but wonder what went on in that man’s heart and mind. He knew what his life was like before he met Christ, and he knew what Christ had done for him. With Christ in his life, everything changed. He could not contain himself. He became an instant apostle, and people responded to his preaching. Word spread so fast that everyone and his brother sought out Christ. Christ wants to touch one person, and then another. He has left the work to us. Are we going to be like that man who went from being a beggar to being an apostle? Do we really appreciate what it means to have Christ in our lives? Do we show it?

Conversation with Christ: Lord, transform my thoughts, words, and actions. I want to enter into a more perfect union with you, Lord Jesus.

Resolution: Today I will seek or make an opportunity to work to spread Christ’s Kingdom in my parish, family, or elsewhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What church is this, Charles?

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

Memramcook!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice picture!