Wednesday, May 03, 2006

EVER WONDERED? WHY DO YOU SEE SHOPPING CARTS AROUND???


STA_0725, originally uploaded by Oldmaison.

Charles,

This afternoon I witnessed a good Samaritan act and I thought that I
would share it with you.

I work in Saint John and we have dark coloured windows which we can see out of and people cannot see in (except at night).

We were just finishing up our lunch when we noticed a elderly man carrying
at least 8 grocery bags full and walking towards town.

He would take 3 steps and then put all of the groceries down, take a break and then resume his walk.

One of the girls said I cannot stand watching him, I am going to see
if he needs a drive.

Sure enough out she goes and asked this man if he wanted a drive.

He said that he had a long way to go because he lived on the other side of the South End.

She told him that she would drive him
and he could not of been any more pleased and Thankful.

He told her that he is a diabetic and he has to go to Sobey's to buy his food which most is specialty stuff.

My friend said that his bags were so thin that they were ready to bust anyways so she was glad that she decided to drive the stranger.

He said that it cost him so much for his food that he didn't have enough to get a Taxi so that is why he was walking.

She came back and said how good that it made her feel.

I know that most people would never
even think of doing what she did and for safety reasons it might not of been the smartest but when you see the elderly struggling to survive in this world today, any act of kindness is appreciated by them.

Now I know why I might see a shopping cart way off of the beaten track once in a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in Saint John South they call them "Mini Moving Vans"

Which we should be seeing plenty of as those who where paying Heat & Lights for the Winter are now going to find a cheaper place for the warmer Months.

This usually takes place in May and again in October.