Thursday, July 06, 2006

WILL AN IRVING EMPLOYEE WIN SAINT JOHN IDOL CONTEST???


irving3, originally uploaded by Oldmaison.

Charles,

I wanted to blog a little story...well, it's not a story really.

But here goes..I tried out for Saint John Idol down on the Boardwalk
stage.

I was very nervous and gave it everything I had.

This was last Wednesday night, June 28th that I sang.

I did "Hound Dog" by Elvis.

There must have been 4000 or 5000 people in the audience. It was great.

I danced and gyrated on stage.

Not to brag, but I can hold a tune.

There were 115 people trying out that night.

80 people would be picked for the next level, 35 would be dumped.

I was one of the ones that was dumped. No reason was given.

I had little kids adults that I never met before in my life come up to me
after I sang and told me what a good job I did.

They said they'd bet anything I would make it but I didn't.

Over the last week I became really depressed over all this.

I decided to go down tonight (wed. July 5) to see some of the ones

that made it through to the next level.

It was pathetic, some of the singers were very bashful on stage and couldn't sing a note.

Ok, what I'm getting to in all this is something I did not know..something I only found out today. Something that someone told me.

Now I know the Wave 97.3 CHWV FM on King St. in Saint John is putting on Saint John Idol. They are drawing HUGE crowds every Wed. night and are doing wonders for all the businesses down at Market Square.

What I DIDN'T KNOW WAS THAT IRVING OWNS this radio station!!

Now you Charles and your friends probably already know this.

But it came as a total shock to me!!

That Irving is even involved in the Saint John Idol/Karaoke, I guess you could call it, business.

My God, what ISN'T Irving involved in?????

So all the staff down there conducting this, radio personnel, Melinda
Barkhouse, the judges, the other Wake Up host, all the other staff down there from the Wave are ALL employed by Irving!!

What a shock !!

I won't be trying out for Saint John Idol again!

There is something wrong there!

So I just wanted to share that with the readers.

If you want to print it, go ahead.

I'd prefer not to sign my name only because I'll get a lot of crazies
calling me, but if you really need me to give my name, I will.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone who'd get depressed over losing Saint John Idol needs their head checked. It's a popularity contest for teenagers. Get over it.

Anonymous said...

No one has a problem with most things but for some reason few people have a chance at making a go of things in this city, Irving has the power and the people lined up and not much will change.

Believe me most people don't understand the concept of how we have been screwed over for so long.

We are suppose to be thankful that we have the Irvings and they are happy to get all the tax breaks.

It all works out for the Irvings and after all the rest of us are trivial in the big picture and scheme of things.

Do I sound discouraged? Actually I am way past that.

Anonymous said...

That's not the issue, the 'story' though, should be whether there are any Irving employees in the contest. If not, then the headline is a bad one.

Personally, I doubt the Irvings have that kind of stranglehold that a judge would be thinking that they should nominate another Irving employee.

But the point is well made, is there ANYTHING in this province that isn't run by the Irvings? This kind of stuff should scare the living hell out of people. Anybody that thinks a billionaire family which doesn't even live here year round anymore is looking out for the best interests of New Brunswickers are the ones who need their heads checked.

Anonymous said...

Saint John Idol is a little more than just a popularity contest for teenagers.
Any age is welcomed and there are older people in it.
The grand prize is $2500 cash and a trip for 2 to Costa Rica. Plus you get the exposure you need to make your own CD.

Anonymous said...

This may come as a huge shock to you but American Idol is run by a big business called Fox, and Canadian Idol is run by a big business called CTV.

You're nothing more than a sore loser if you're crying foul about a local talent show. You think you're so great, why didn't you try out for Canadian Idol? Oh wait, I know why... you wouldn't have been able to blame your elimination on "big bad billionaires."

Geesh.

Anonymous said...

Really hopefully the best singer wins. I know that this is a good thing and I would feel better if Irving didn't have control of our whole city.