Sunday, June 04, 2006

FREDERICTON POLICE OFFICER VERY ANGRY WITH CHARLES!!!


police5, originally uploaded by Oldmaison.

I held off of this story but I feel that I must asks the question?

Last week while chatting with the protester in front of the Legislature.

I noticed a fully clothes uniform police officer walking in front of the Legislature.

In the past, these officers are dress in casual clothing.

This time it was different because the guy was carrying two cups of Tim’s Horton coffee.

We all know the jokes about the cops going at the coffee shop but now there he was in front of me carrying not one but two cups of coffee.

coffee

I quickly went for my camera and said - This is too good!!!!

The officer quickly look at me and shouted - CHARLES!!!! DON’T TAKE THAT PICTURE!!!!

It was too late because I already clicked.

He walked inside the Legislature and one minute later walked out the door.

He didn’t take a left turn toward his car. He was coming straight towards me and was walking pretty fast.

I whispered to Lisa- Oh..oh??? We got a problem.

This guy was over 6 feet and he was angry.

He asked me if I deleted the picture???

I said - Yep!!!

He reminded me that his brother was a lawyer and he would see me in court if his picture was on the blog site.

He added that if he was giving a ticket to someone? I wasn’t allowed to take a picture.

STA_3469

I reminded the police officer of those pictures of the protesters that was arrested?


Nothing was said about that issue?

He reminded me not to use the picture and left the area.

I used the picture but remove his face.

He got me thinking because when the cop arrive with the woman purse. I was going to take a picture but I didn’t until he gave me the ok.

Take a look at the spot checks they have in the province.
spot

They allowed the media to film the violators and the police together.

So what’s the difference?

Look at this picture at the Farmer’s Market?

STA_3053

Should I asked permission to everyone in the picture before I clicked away?

What’s the policy on taking pictures anyway?

STA_3462
STC_3370

Does anyone know? Is the Frdericton police officer correct in his word?

police5

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That police officer is giving you a load of crap.
I know, I checked this out myself last year.
I was uptown and tourists were not only taking (unwanted) pictures of me, they were putting me on their camcorders.
I didn't like it.
Also, I was in the City Market different times when the media are in there taking pictures.
Or Tourism Dept. for brochures. I was in a brochure one time (my image). I wasn't happy about it.
Anyway, the law is ( I checked it out last year),
anyone can take a picture of anyone that is out in the public.Dosen't matter if they're a movie star, a cop, a private citizen, a politician, whatever.
There's nothing anyone can do about it.
Stalking though is another story.
I'm not saying you're doing that, but it's a crime if it can be proven.
How many times have you heard of a celebrity busting someone's camera?
But it's not illiegal unless you're showing force or creating a disturbance.
I think you have a good case on your hands, I would think you could sue this cop for the way he treated you. At least get some answers on this one.

Spinks said...

I don't think you have a lawsuit here Charles but besides the suing advice "camera-shy wino" (sheesh, maybe anonymous was a better name, lol) is correct.
Anything in a public area is fine to take a photo or video of, thus your example of the media. They take pictures of people all the time without taking permission. Theoretically you can shoot into somebody's busines or home if they leave the drapes open and you're standing on public property. However as "wino" pointed out you might be stalking at that point. There's nothing wrong with you taking this officer's photo nor is there anything wrong with him having a coffee, thus I don't see the point of this picture anyway. We have this attitude as society that cops spend all their time at Tim Hortons. They actually spend very little but when you have a uniform you're a lot easier to notice in a crowd. I'm sure I spend a lot more time at Tim's than any cop and I know people who spend much more.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charles,

Hey, check out this website:

http://www.badcopnodonut.fm/

Anonymous said...

Even though taking a person's picture may be legal, a photographer should use common courtesy and ask people before taking a picture. It's only good manners, something everyone should exhibit.

Anonymous said...

tell him to give you one of the coffees next time and you'll delete the pic:))

Anonymous said...

manners charles dont know what manners are

Anonymous said...

Manners? You are asking Charles to learn Chinese as he will never learn and understand that.