Thursday, July 14, 2005

RACISM IN IRVING CITY???

NB Telegraph-Journal | Saint John
As published on page B1 on July 13, 2005

irvin-Emp

Chinese university students harassed
Young people forced to dodge eggs, lit fireworks
irving3

Click to zoom(Cindy Wilson/Telegraph-Journal)
Vincent Zhang, left, and Coco Zhao stand in the bus stop at Woodhaven Drive and University Avenue where Ms. Zhao was egged on Mondy night.

HR-1-



BY SANDRA DAVIS
Telegraph-Journal

Chinese university student Doris Yu has had lit fireworks thrown at her, been pelted with eggs and screamed at.

During the latest incident on Monday night, she was hit on the foot with an egg and her friend, Coco Zhao, took one on the head.

As she stood at a bus stop on the corner of Woodhaven Drive and University Avenue in Saint John's North End Tuesday afternoon telling her story to a reporter, it happened again.

It was the third time in as many days but this time it was a verbal assault.

As three young men in a grey Chevrolet pickup truck sped down University Avenue, one of them gestured with an "up yours" sign out the truck window.

His face was contorted with what looked like rage or hate and he screamed something unintelligible at the group that included her friends, Ms. Zhao and Vincent Zhang.

At that point, Ms. Yu began to cry.
"I'm afraid to go out at night," said the third-year business student, tears running down her face.

"If you hadn't been here, they would have thrown more eggs.

"We're here without our families."
When confronted in their pickup truck at a nearby convenience store, the three young men involved in Tuesday afternoon's verbal attack at the bus stop readily admitted it was one of them who had yelled and gestured rudely out the window at the group just minutes before on University Avenue.

The young man couldn't understand what the big deal was, saying that they had done the same thing to someone else earlier that day and that person wasn't even Chinese.

"It was a joke," he said. "Lighten up."
He denied having anything to do with Monday's egg-throwing incidents, which the Saint John City Police are investigating.

Both Kevin Bonner, who is in charge of student services at the University of New Brunswick in Saint John, and Sylvia Sparks, executive director of PRUDE (Pride of Race, Unity, Dignity through Education), are disgusted by what is happening.

"We're very concerned and very upset to hear about it. The international students in the city have generally been very welcomed," said Mr. Bonner.

Ms. Sparks gasped when told of the egg-pelting incident but said she is not shocked.

During an Asian Night hosted by PRUDE this spring, she heard several stories from residents who have experienced discrimination, mostly in the form of comments and dirty looks.

"The city needs a lot of education for this to stop. A lot of people are racist. The sad thing is they don't even know they are," she said.

"We want more people to come here. If these kids are going home and saying to people, 'don't go there, it's racist, it's discriminatory,' how are we ever going to build our population?" she says.

"I can just imagine how degrading it is to them."

She advises Asian students, who tend not to complain, to be more vocal about what is happening to them.

Monday night's egg throwing incident happened about 10 p.m. when a red mini-van, filled with young men and women, drove by, closely followed by a car.

They made one pass, then turned around and came back, pelting eggs all the way.

On Tuesday afternoon, remnants of egg that had run down the bus shelter were stuck to its walls and bits of shell littered the sidewalk.

This is the second time that Ms. Yu has been hit with an egg thrown from a passing vehicle as she walked along University Avenue.

In the fall of 2003, she wasn't so lucky; her face was badly bruised and police officers took her to the hospital for treatment.

Then, just this past Sunday, she and a group of friends were accosted in the parking lot at Tim Hortons by young people screaming at them to go back to China.

About two weeks ago, the friends dodged lit fireworks.

Since posting the incidents on the message board of a Saint John Chinese online community, at least four people have logged on to report similar experiences.

One person talks of being attacked uptown by apple-throwing teens one day last year.

Mr. Zhang guesses that more victims will come forward.

Ms. Zhao is scared and angry. "I don't know what I have done, why they are doing this to me. In China, if they do this to you, it means you have done something bad," she said.

"People say they want a long-term immigration strategy and then they do this," added Ms. Yu.

"I just feel sad. How can I walk down the street by myself?"

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all , thank Sylvia for sharing this with us all and Richard
for such quick
response.

These three people who got hurted in this incident are all my good
friends, two of them
are my classmates.They are MBA students at UNBSJ. The other one is my
classmate's wife.
Actually, They were intended to stay here after graduation to help the
community and
make contribution, because they have seen there are lots of
opportunities which they
can grasp to help developing our community and let Saint John go toward
the world.

We don't want the same thing to happen again, because that would really
hurt our
feelings. But on the other hand, we will not deny the reality that most
of people in
sain john are nice to international people , and they are pleased to
help us. Actually
we enjoy our lives in saint john as well. Let's work together to make
Saint John
better!

On behalf of all Chinese students from MBA class, I really appreciate
your help and
understanding. Thank you!

Jesse

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Bernard Lord he started current spat of racism. He and his racist/bigoted MLAs started racism in the legislature when they made racist remarks towards a native MLA. When leaders in a society do that then kids justify their actions that are it Ok because Premier and MLAs are doing it. If we want to get rid of racism in N.B. let’s get rid of racist Bernard Lord and his racist, bigoted MLAs. Then there will be some hope.

Anonymous said...

Get rid of racist Lord.

Anonymous said...

I for one have NP what so ever with any asian people. any asian's iv come in contact with seem a VERY nice,clean & respectful people,i like them very much. :-)
___________________________________

but on the other hand i dont care for indian or to be more specific the pakistan type people. i dont like to say that but thats how they come off to me. mostly the older ones who wernt born & raised in canada come off to me as very rude,self-centred,& anything but open to OUR way of life & OUR Canadian culture & that bugs me im sorry.

& the same gos now for thease muslim's,if you want to come & live in our great country then you dame well better be ready to live by our law's,custom's & tradition's.

I cant help but get the feeling that thease people come to Canada & just expect to go right on living like they were still in their own country with their own laws & way of life,well i for one wont stand for it.
___________________________________

I am just expressing my opinion's,i dont HATE thease people or anyone for being different & would NEVER let any sort of bashing happen wile i was around no matter who or where the person was from. but in this world of todays 'political correctness' BS i will not just roll over & kiss everyone's ass for the sake of not offending someone. i have the right to my opinion's & feel we are quickly loosing that right & that is a very scary thought.ty.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I like to say that racism can be anything from hating the color of samone skin or the way they look or because they are gays or they are diferent than you do.Racism is to hate and that can cause pain and problems to everyone.As far as imigrants coming to Canada and live the way of Canadians i must say i agree but also we must respect there culture and religion the same way we want to be respected. We need imigrants in the City of Saint John lets try to be friends and more welcome and remember racism and hate only causes pain.

Anonymous said...

The one fact not pointed out in here is that WE ALL STARTED OUT AS IMIGRANTS and Canada is absolutely NOT defined by one colour or one religion Canada is the most diversified Country in the world.
We are truley the only Country in the world to have a little taste of every other Country all rolled into one Magnificent community with the least amount of ethnic differences and I hope we will always shine as such!!
And what makes this even more of a sucess is we have come together and done this living next door to the self proclaimed most powerful Country in the world.
Not bad eh??? Ah Canada!!now thats refreshing!!

Anonymous said...

you want to talk about "RACISM"?.

then lets talk about oprah winfrey.

this is the kind of complete utter bullshit that people like the person that called me a "racist" & this state of "political correctness" we are forced to live in today is producing-

oprah gos to some store THAT IS CLOSED & has a few customer's left over inside finishing up & besides the fact that THEY ARE CLOSED they have to prepare for an event,so what does this bitch do?! SCREAMS RACIST! RACIST! RACISM!!! WAAAAA! because im black they wont let me in AFTER HOURS to spend my billions of dollars so i'll scream RACISM!. complete utter BULLSHIT! IMO.

so next time i go to a CLOSED store AFTER HOURS & they wont let me in i'll scream RACISM!!!.
___________________________________

again its like i have said,i am very worried about the road we are going down when one person cant express their own personal opinion about anything without being labled a "BIGOT" or a "RACIST".

if you are a normal sane human being you should be able to process what someone else has to say & then know right from wrong,if you dont then you were probly going to do something bad or wrong anyways. what i am trying to say is for example- that indian dude who just had his order of canada takin back for saying his personal views on jews & the holocaust,he could speak to me all day & night about how he feels the holocaust did not happen or whatever he said,would i belive him? or suddenly want to hert jews? NO!. but if i was already prone to beliving this or doing bad acts anyways then if it was not this it would be something else am i right?.

so enough with the catchwords & let people express their own honest personal opinion's without being crucified for it. or pretty soon their will be no SOCALLED freedom of speach,ty.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Rmc had already revealed him/herself to be obnoxious, by constantly re-posting the same damn post (spamming) about going to the City of SJ website. New we know she/he is a racist too, and of the vile "I'm not a racist but..." type, using the classic "right to free speech" argument to hide behind.

Yes, rmc, you have the right to be a moronic racist, as well as a spammer, and the rest of us have the right to call you what you are.

Anonymous said...

rmc did reveal himself to be a biggot and a racist. What more one can say other than that we do have our share of bigots.
When does he plan to exercise his freedom of expression and burn the cross on someone's lawn.

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

Hey..hey..hey..lets try to calm down. My god? This site can be heated something. I always use the word - Bigot! I'm a Bigot because I can't stand Quebercers! Sorry! That's the way it is!!! But seriously? Lets try to debate in a good manner! We don't want to stay acting like our elected officials on the floor of the Legislature! We sure try to calm down! < I'm a fibe one to preach! >..lol

Anonymous said...

rmc have you ever heard that when you find yourself in a hole stop digging. That is what you are doing. Digging yourself deeper and deeper and proving that you are racist. If you are fighting for LNG then you lost your credibility.

Sorry man if you continue you will do too much damage to LNG fight. Just stop digging deeper into a hole.

Anonymous said...

Wow, someone's a little defensive.

The angrier rmc gets, the more obvious the hate inside.

And, as one of the anonymous bloggers, I'll say two things: I have good reasons for remaining anonymous, and anyway, who is rmc? I'm bdm. There: I'm not anonymous anymore. :)

(Is there anyone here who posts their name, besides, Charles, Tim and Michael G McKay?)

Anonymous said...

I think that the Muslims want to change the world to "their way"...and use whatever means that they have available! Of course they continue to live and act the same!

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

No.....I believe this is the main reason we're not working!!! We gave our names out!!!!...lol

Ryan said...

I realize these comments are years too late but I figure it's better late than never. I am the young man with the "contorted face", who was driving down university ave that day. This whole story was the first time I realized the power that journalists have, and how easily they can spin a story into whatever they want it to be just to make an article interesting. That day was an almost unbelievable coincidence (a very unfortunate one at that). Myself, and two friends had just left the UNBSJ gym after a workout and were on our way to Irving Convenience to get a some Gatorade. On the drive there I was being an immature 19 year old and I saw a man walking down the street so I yelled "I just came from the gym look at these pipes", which surprised my friends because I am not one to yell...ever. So when they pointed out they were surprised I said I would yell at the next person I saw. We pulled onto University avenue and the next group of people I saw were standing at the bus stop. I stuck my arm out the window, flexed, and yelled the same statement "I just came from the gym look at these pipes". When I got to the Irving I went in and purchased my drink and on the way out a lady (who I am guessing was the author of this article,Sandra) walked up to me. She asked if I was with the men in the truck to which I replied yes. Then she and I believe it was her husband started yelling at me calling me a "f***ing racist", and yelling about how that Chinese student had been assaulted at that bus stop (something I had no idea took place), and telling me she worked for the telegraph journal and that she was conducting an interview, while reminding me several times I was pathetic and that I was a racist. At this point I was furious that she accused me (especially in the manner she did) and I lost my temper and we got into a shouting match. I told her that we had just left the gym and I was being stupid and immature and stuck my arm out the window, flexed my bicep, and then yelled (with a very average looking face...void of anger and hate) "I just came from the gym look at these pipes". However they decided to continue harassing me about being a racist and finally her husband (if that's who it was) got her to go back to their car and left. To my surprise the next day I read this story in the paper. It was 100% coincidence that I yelled this comment at the bus stop that this poor girl was at. However, for Sandra to imply it was racially driven and basically write a bullshit article stating things that never actually happened is pathetic and she should be ashamed as a journalist. I wish I could find that poor girl and apologize and let her know that it was nothing personal or racial it was just a 19 year old being immature. Also, I would apologize on behalf of Sandra for trying to instill fear in people rather than take the time to listen to what I had to say. I was furious when I read the story and so was my friends (driver of the truck) mother and sister. They wrote a letter to the telegraph journal explaining what had really happened. Their response to this ( I no longer have the article unfortunately) was to write another story in which the "racist teens mother apologizes for sons actions". Pathetic. If anyone has the contact information of that young girl I would love to contact her. Also, don't always believe what you read...except this!